Unmountable boot volume, help needed

edited March 2010 in Hardware
Hello,

I've been trying to solve this problem on my own and it doesn't seem to be working. I began with the Recovery Console since this is what microsoft suggested to do.
Here are the steps that I have taken:

1.CHKDSK - states the the volume looks to be in good condition but it was not checked
2.CHKDSK /p - starts running this but gets stuck at 25% and doesn't move forward
3.CHKDSK /r - same issue as /p.

I am hoping someone has some advise for me on how to proceed so that I am able to retrieve "my documents" folder from the hard drive. I already know that the hard drive is bad, but can I use FIXBOOT or FIXMBR? OR will these reformat my hard drive so that I cannot access the documents?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,
Janice

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    You can likely recover your data with simple recovery means, but if that doesn't work, you'll have to move on to more advanced methods.
  • edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    You can likely recover your data with simple recovery means, but if that doesn't work, you'll have to move on to more advanced methods.

This seems just like the same as taking it out of the laptop and hooking it up to my workable laptop (I thought that was called using it as a slave drive, but I may be getting my terms confused) and it didn't work. A friend of mine who used to work at Circuit City in the computer tech dept did this for me.
    edited March 2010
    If that didn't work for you, then you'll need to try the advanced recovery methods described in the second article. If that doesn't work, there's nothing you can do outside of professional data recovery services (very expensive).
  • edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    If that didn't work for you, then you'll need to try the advanced recovery methods described in the second article. If that doesn't work, there's nothing you can do outside of professional data recovery services (very expensive).

Ok, So I read through the Advanced Recovery information and it seems that my information could still be possibly retreived BUT intead of using TESTDISK, can't I just use the Recovery Console and use the command FIXMBR OR FIXBOOT? OR will than ruin my data?
    edited March 2010
    Fixmbr and fixboot will not resolve the issues you're experiencing.

You might also try a program called Recuva, which works similarly to GetDataBack, but is completely free.
  • edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Fixmbr and fixboot will not resolve the issues you're experiencing.

You might also try a program called Recuva, which works similarly to GetDataBack, but is completely free.

Ok great. Thanks for your help!