M2N-SLI Deluxe MOBO (sli question?)

edited March 2010 in Hardware
Hey there i have the m2n-sli deluxe mobo with a geforce 8600gt card in it atm, i've been doing some research planning on getting another geforce 8600gt so i can hook them up in sli. The only thing that worries me about doing this, is i've read that when in sli mode the video card slots can only run at 8x, and if i am using two 8600gt's that are 16x, wouldn't having 2 of them running at 8x be kind of silly, i mean it would probably render things better but, im just not sure if it would be the upgrade im looking for. i haven't been able to find any 3dmark benches or anything on someone doing this and i didn't know if someone had any more info on this that i was missing, if u do i'd really appriciate it ^_^, ty

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Video cards don't currently run at full bandwidth in an x16 slot, so you shouldn't have any issue there. x8 between the cards is more than enough to communicate who's rendering what at any given moment and piping the pixels out through the output card.

A quick glance shows that several SLi and CrossfireX implementations will only have x4 between the cards.

Also, PCI-E 2.0 is ~2x the bandwidth of 1.0, so you need fewer lanes to push the same amount of data.
  • edited March 2010
    really appriciate the info, still not positive whether it would be worth buying a 2nd card for sli and delaying the need to upgrade for a little longer or to just replace and get it over with, either way this helps ty.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    replace, wait a few months for the 4xx series launch.