XBox 360 DVD drive not reading anymore

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Hardware
My brother called me today and said that his XBox 360 is not reading discs (Games or DVDs) anymore. The 360 is long out of warranty. Is it possible to replace the DVD drive easily? I am 1000 miles away from him so I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

Comments

• JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2010
    easily? are we talking about someone with a lot of technical know how or someone that is just a user?

The xbox 360 dvd drive comes in one unit, similar to a pc dvd drive, you will have to get one specifically designed for the xbox 360 but it shouldnt be too hard. A quick youtube video tutorial can show you how to easily disassemble and xbox 360.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    not true, each drive has its own ID that correspond the the motherboard ID, and there are 4 types of drives, BenQ, Hitachi, Samssung, LiteOn, all of them are interchangeable, as long as you flash the proper (ur old ID) to it, and this is same method how they mod X360 to play burn or ur own backup games
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2010
    There are also a few reasons why the dvd stops reading. One common one is simply that the unit has overheated which is fixable, though 'easy' is subjective. There are instructions on the net how to do it though, but will usually require dismantlement of the unit. Before he goes that far though have him take some compressed air to it.
    edited March 2010
    depend on what unit, most of the 90mm unit the laser dies due to heat from the system..
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Wouldn't he get kicked off of LIVE for having a modded system? I think he only real option is to pay Microsoft to fix it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    The modded system ban only applies to chipped consoles.
    edited March 2010
    modded system does not nescessary will get ban, example of hard mod will allow u to have 2 firmware, one for disk check another when u go online, anyway, changing DVD does not ban u, however, u do need to get the id out.

if u do need replacement drive, and you are in canada:

http://www.gmodz.ca/

reference me, Allen Pan

they do sell u new drive and transfer the id for u, or u can even ask them to mod it...

p.s canada mod is legal, just like download music or movies
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited March 2010
    sorry, didnt know about the firmware needing to be altered, good to know though if my xbox 360 ever dies, i just always assumed it would be similar to the original xbox drives.