sony vaio f series cooling

erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native TexanHouston,Texas Member
edited March 2010 in Hardware
anyone on here have any cooling issues with the vaio #VPCF115FM. Every time i play any games it slows down and artifacts develop during the game.

sony vaio
cpu : i7 720
graphics: geforce 330m
mem: ddr3 6gb
optical: blue ray drive

Comments

• edited March 2010
    It does sound like a cooling issue. This is seriously bad news to me seeing as I have the exact same system. Nvidia video cards are infamous for over-heating. Additionally the predecessor of the Vaio F, the Vaio FW also had serious heating issues. Not a particularly confidence inspiring track record.

Download the HWinfo32 tool to find out what temperatures your GPU is running at.
    http://www.hwinfo.com/download32.html
    Your video card shouldn't exceed 75 degrees even under gaming. Anything more then that should be a red flag.

Make sure that all your gaming is done on a hard surface to ensue proper airflow. Don't ever place the laptop on a bed, carpet or anything that could potentially trap heat.

I am hoping that this is a throttling issue but realistically the odds of that are extremely low. XPS 16 Dells also have this problem where under full load the system slows down to a crawl because the power brick cannot supply enough juice to the power hungry laptop.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Actually those GPU's should be able to run at 85c under full load. But at those temps something is most likely wrong.

For power brick issues, just run off the cable.
  • edited March 2010
    Actually those GPU's should be able to run at 85c under full load. But at those temps something is most likely wrong.

For power brick issues, just run off the cable.

By power brick I mean AC supply. On battery the Vaio's are throttled down anyway; 900MHz for the i7 720, 1.2GHz for the i7 820.

Reason I said it shouldn't climb 75 was that was the max recorded GPU temp on a system that had been stress tested for 12hrs straight.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Sony-Vaio-VPC-F11Z1-E-Notebook.25724.0.html

My idle temperatures have so far been anywhere from 43-46 degrees depending on ambient room temperatures.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited March 2010
    i have since returned the laptop. I'm going to purchase the asus g73
  • edited March 2010
    i have since returned the laptop. I'm going to purchase the asus g73

sweet!!! The g73 is a raging beast of a system. It should crank out out some serious fps....