Acer TravelMate 5730 - Totally Dead?!

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited May 2010 in Hardware
We've got an Acer TravelMate 5730 laptop. This developed a fault some time late last year, was sent to Acer in Texas and repaired (the laptop was in out US office at the time). I got my hands on it a couple of weeks ago. It all seemed good. So, yesterday I was installing Office (since it was returned to us as a factory install) and preparing it to go on our domain. I restarted and was greeted with nothing.

The charger is plugged in, and has a green light on, indicating it's working. It's attached to the laptop, as is the battery. In this state the battery symbol on the front is solid green. On pressing the power button yesterday nothing happened, yup, nothing.

Leaving it plugged in all night and trying the same this morning and still nothing.

I've tried a battery pull, I've tried booting it up without the battery (just AC cord), I've tried putting in the AC cord whilst holding the power button - nothing.

I'm kinda stumped - I've never had a machine be working fine one min then not even boot the next?! - No noises, nothing!

Any suggestions before I begin the hideous task of contacting Acer for support/sending it back?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps the switch is broken.
  • edited March 2010
    I get the same problem with my Travelmate 5730. It seems to happen when I shut down the computer rather than sleep/hibernate. What is weird is that if you leave it for a while (a few hours/overnight) and then disconnect the power cable it starts up just running on battery. I've got no idea why this happens so if you find a solution could you reply :)

Cheers.
  • edited May 2010
    chibberto wrote:
    I get the same problem with my Travelmate 5730. It seems to happen when I shut down the computer rather than sleep/hibernate. What is weird is that if you leave it for a while (a few hours/overnight) and then disconnect the power cable it starts up just running on battery. I've got no idea why this happens so if you find a solution could you reply :)

Cheers.

For info I had to send away to Acer. On the repair sheet it said that they had to replace a resistor on the mainboard.
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited May 2010
    chibberto wrote:
    For info I had to send away to Acer. On the repair sheet it said that they had to replace a resistor on the mainboard.

Thanks for posting back. I reformatted the laptop anyway since it was full of junk and I needed to put it on our domain. It seems to work ok now but I've not road tested it for very long. I've decided to keep it as an emergency spare, knowing full well it could go kaput at any moment!

It was sent back to Acer once already for repair and now it's out of warranty, so not overly encouraging, I certainly won't be opting for an Acer laptop again!