Looking to go full water cooling - need advice

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Hardware
Yes I have built some one off system with water cooling but nothing as good as I want to do in my system.

I would like to get a system that will properly cool my CPU, GPU's and bridge on my system as I want to take my overall systems temps down and push her a bit further than I can with current cooling.

My overall goal is to get the temps down under full load across all my devices as summer is coming & it is going to get hot.

I need advice on what cooling system will allow the proper water flow on all these components and truly get the system nice and cool. Links to products and maybe even setup guides are helpful as my knowledge on getting a CPU or just a GPU going on water is simple but not connecting a bridge, cpu, gpu's etc...

I have a huge case - Corsair Obsidian 800D and I know I will most likely need 2 radiators as I plan to run 2 Fermi cards in the system at a later time.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    If it were me I would install a loop for the CPU/bridge and a loop for each video card.
    For the past 5 years I have run a single loop on my cpu only with no hiccups. The only time my temps rise is when the air filters need cleaning ...which is about every 3 mos ...but even after 6 mos+ it never gets hot enough to fry anything.

My loop consists of a single pass Thermochill PA 160, D5 Laing pump, and a Swiftech Apogee all on 1/2" tubing. Also, don't forget the MCT5. All of this is cooled by one 120mm 80+ cfm 20- dba fan.

My objective is to "remove" heat from the loop as efficiently and effortlessly as possible.

List your components so we have a better idea of what we're looking at please sir.

I fold 24/7 on this rig and game every night and my cpu oc is at 56%.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    My components are in my sig. From the looks of it I will hold off the GPU cooling until I get my new cards, but will most likely go for 2 loops on 2 different rads. The upcoming Fermi cards will be hot and I will run them in their own loop. the CPU and NB will run on their own loop as well. Depending on the cards i get I might even go for 3 rads & 3 loops if I can make room.

The idea is to have the CPU and NB run as cool as possible. I have already been looking at some different rads for the job and think the ones I might go for have been found.

CPU & NB: HardWare Labs X-Flow Extreme III

The problem with the 2nd rad is I need one that will fit in the case without having to do a mod or chop it up. I have room by the PSU but I am not sure if a rad that small will do much. Its a tough call but I am sure I can figure something out. I also need good suggestions on fans to use for the rads.

As for the CPU block & the NB block those have been hard locked on some pretty well reviewed items.

CPU Block: Swiftech GTZ - These perform well but I guess have cheap mounting systems that strip out easily.
    NB Block: EK-EVGA X58 Classified Full Board Waterblock - best one i can find currently that covers both chips.

I like the idea of Drive bay reservoirs or even a tall tower reservoir but just need some guidance on good quality stuff.

Hoses & the type of liquid are also something I know nothing about. Do they make a difference... what fittings would I use? 3/8" & 1/2" which is better? How much of a difference does it make overall? I just want good quality components that will last years & years with low maintenance (out side of cleaning dust etc...)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    We'll be publishing a review soon of IceDragon cooling fluid. When are you planning on moving forward with this?
    edited March 2010
    1/2" > 3/8"

Apogee XT is teh king.

MCT-5 is maintenance free for a long long time. FluidXP has clouded on me twice and I had to flush the system each time. It was a mess and I won't use it again.

Don't use a reservoir ...you'll be served equally by adding a filler "T" that won't interfere with the flow. Check out this video for the fillport installation also.

Also, don't mix copper and aluminum in the loop. The copper will detereorate quickly.
    edited March 2010
    OKay after reading reviews Apogee XT is what I will go with.

Any benefit in a Filler T over using a Reservoir? I heard having a reservoir is a goods thing as it will help keep the fluid cooler over time.
    edited March 2010
    No cooling benefit at all.
    The purpose of a reservoir is only to act as a holding tank in case your fluid gets low. If your fluid gets that low you're in serious trouble anyway.

The purpose of the "T" is to divert the flow so that it doesn't travel up the filler hose which makes the loop more efficient. This is seriously recommended even if you use a reservoir.

The extra hose to the top of the case to the fillport acts as a reservoir when you fill it almost to the top.

Make sense?

To me a reservoir is just like having an extra bottle of coolant on stanby in case the loop needs it. But man I'd hate to think of the mess that would be made if the loop needed an entire bottle of coolant.
    edited March 2010
    So I picked up 3 items so far... should arrive by Wednesday... now to figure out what size tubes and fittings I need.

Chipset - EK EVGA 3x SLI X58 Classified Full Board Cooling Block Kit

CPU Block - Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme

Main CPU & Chipset Rad - Black Ice GT Stealth 360 X-Flow Radiator

I understand what your saying about the reservoir but I found this build and man it just looks to kick ass to not copy cat his setup...

3978171888_65f6e936c9.jpg

Now for fittings, tubing, pump & other items...

Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in.
    Coolant: PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Coolant (32 oz.) - UV Blue
    Reservoir: XSPC 5.25" Black Reservoir Bay w/ Blue LED
    Pump Swiftech MCP350 12 VDC Pump
    Fans Cooler Master R4 120mm Blue LED Fan R4-L2R-20AC-GP (x3)
    - Fittings:
    Bitspower Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8"" (x2)
    Bitspower Barb Fitting-ID 3/8" (x2)
    Bitspower G1/4 Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8"" (x4)
    Bitspower Silver T-Block
    Bitspower Temp Sensor
    Bitspower Male to Male G 1/4 Fitting

The idea for the temp sensor is to have tabs on the coolants temps as it comes out of the radiator.
    edited March 2010
    I am starting to think I might just keep my GTX 295 and add this bad boy to it...

Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X² GTX295
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited March 2010
    I was looking at that same build when I considered doing WC on my 800D. I just did my CPU though because this was my first time doing WC and the thought of taking a dremel to a new $300 case didn't settle well.

That build seems to be the best way to do 2 internal radiators with a 800D that can do CPU, mobo, and GPU. The only things I would change is:

Scythe Gentle Typhoon - D1225C12B3AP-14 - 1450rpm

I'm using 3 on a Swiftech MCR-320 with great results, but any of the Gentle Typhoon fans are considered to have the best CFM to dBA ratio. The 1450RPM fans are basically completely silent. 3 of them are quieter than the one Scythe S-Flex Fan - SFF21F in my case.

I would recommend going with colored tubing and distilled water. Reading stories on xtremesystems about how premixed coolants clogging up blocks made me change my mind.

And of course rocking the Apogee XT:rockon::rockon::rockon:
    edited March 2010
    I think on the main rad I am going with I will use a 6 fan Push/Pull setup. I heard the Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans are great for that and with the 6 fans you can easily drop down to 800RPM (which is dead quiet.

Maybe I will pick up 3 Scythe Gentle Typhoon over the Cooler Masters...

As for the 2nd RAD... I think I can fit in a 120MM rad with 1 fan in the bay next to the PSU and have the inlets just below the holes already cut. I think a good low profile low air flow design will work. I can pair it also in a push pull setup and bring the current fan that is under there to the top section. Right now I am just stuck with not being able to get enough of the 45-Degree Compression Fitting's for my chipset and CPU blocks as they are sold out all over. I have a few e-mails to the manufacture & to retailers to find out when they will get more stock. let just hope I hear back from them soon.

I just don't know.... I would love to hear your thoughts on the single 120MM rad I am thinking about. I know it will not be as cool as a dual fan Rad, but overall it will fit and the temps should stay around 65-70C under full load.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    as I plan to run 2 Fermi cards in the system at a later time.

You sure you will need that by summer? ;)
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited March 2010
    Definitely stick the CPU and mobo in 1 loop with a 360mm rad.

Now with the GPUs, most say at least a 240mm rad. I'm willing to bet nothing less than a 240mm rad for one Fermi and definitely a 360mm rad for dual Fermis (expecting that you're overclocking them;)). The single 120mm rad will probably be useless:sad2:

I would wait till the GTX480/460s come out and follow Xtremesystems to see what people say works and doesn't work.
    edited March 2010
    No point in OC'ing the GPU's in general... I am just looking to get them cooler. But the CPU and memory will be OC'ed to high hell. I am overall looking to drop the GPU's10-15C under load during F@H and top FPS games.

If I go Fermi it will be 1 card at first and than move onto a 2nd... From the thermals I have seen & heard about a 240 will handle them... no need for a 360.
    edited March 2010
    So I ordered the parts for my GPU loop minus a few fittings as they seem to be out of stock across the globe :(. Lucky for me I got the manufacture to actually respond to a request and have been notified that more stock is coming over the next week.

GPU Loop Break Down:

Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in.
    Coolant: PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Coolant (32 oz.) - UV Blue
    Reservoir: XSPC 5.25" Black Reservoir Bay w/ Blue LED
    GPU Block: HEATKILLER® GPU-X² GTX295
    Radiator: Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 240
    Pump Swiftech MCP665 12 VDC Pump
    Fans Cooler Master R4 120mm Blue LED Fan R4-L2R-20AC-GP (x2)
    - Fittings:
    Bitspower Compression Fitting-ID 1/2"" (x2)
    Bitspower Barb Fitting-ID 1/2" (x2)
    Bitspower G1/4 Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 1/2" OD 3/4"" (x2)

Build Thread has begun: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88745