HP Pavilion ze1000 series loaptop boot up problems

edited March 2010 in Hardware
I looked up your other thread on the internet and did everything you said to and it says "invalid drive specification" on it then I type Dir and its for drive A:/

it also says it has 1 drive?
its the same laptop series as the other thread

Comments

• edited March 2010
    anyone please help!!!
  • edited March 2010
    Hello?
  • edited March 2010
    it's my boyfriends oms computer and we are trying to fix the problem
  • edited March 2010
    help meeeeeee
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Here is the maintenance and service guide for the 1000 series notebook: http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00312379.pdf You might want to investigate the Troubleshooting procedures referenced in the left margin of that page.

Couple of other things to consider:

*When you use DIR command, you need to specify the hard drive letter as in DIR C:\

*Can you get into the BIOS (F1) to see if your hard drive is recognized? If it is, odds are you have a settings problem. If it isn't, you may have a hardware problem such as a dead hard drive. If it isn't, try to re-enable AUTODETECT in the BIOS.
  • edited March 2010
    uhm I got to disk C and then I did the BU, what does BU stand for?
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    BU? I have no idea. Back Up? Anyway, let's back up to the beginning. It is obvious from your first post that you were given some guidance elsewhere hence the DIR prompt reference. For people to help here, we need to know more about your situation. What is your operating system? Has anything happened or anything been done to the notebook just before this problem started? What are you getting right now when you power up the notebook? Does the hard drive whirr? Does the boot process halt on a black screen with a flashing cursor? Any on-screen error msgs. during boot attempt? Can you enter BIOS on bootup by pressing F1? If so, does your hard drive show in the BIOS? Others will jump in here I am sure, but let's get some of the footwork done at this point. One other Q: will your notebook boot from a CD? Windows or Restore disk from HP?
  • edited March 2010
    Operating system=Windows XP HE(Home Edition)
    hard drive does whirr
    no it does not halt
    No I can't press F1 to get into the BIOS I tryed when it said I can only press ESC, F10 and F12
    no it will not boot from the CD
    Restore Disc's from HP
    edited March 2010
    Pressing or sometimes holding F1 during boot usually opens the BIOS on the HP Pavilion. However, depending on version, one of these may work: F1, F2, F8, F10, F12 or even Escape. Try F1 first, and if it doesn't work, try the others until you access the BIOS.

You say it does NOT halt. I am confused. If it doesn't halt, it would be booting to Windows. (maybe we're mixing up terms here) You hit the power button then what happens? Do you get the HP Invent logo screen?
  • edited March 2010
    adarryl wrote:
    Pressing or sometimes holding F1 during boot usually opens the BIOS on the HP Pavilion. However, depending on version, one of these may work: F1, F2, F8, F10, F12 or even Escape. Try F1 first, and if it doesn't work, try the others until you access the BIOS.

You say it does NOT halt. I am confused. If it doesn't halt, it would be booting to Windows. (maybe we're mixing up terms here) You hit the power button then what happens? Do you get the HP Invent logo screen?
    no it load from the CD-ROM disk drive yes it goes to the invent logo
    edited March 2010
    Okay, if you can, try to run HP's built in diagnostic hardware tests. Power up the notebook and press the F10 key when the HP logo screen appears. After the menu appears, press Enter to run the tests. Follow the on-screen prompts and press F2 to run a basic hardware test. It should show you results when complete.

If no hardware problems are detected, it may be necessary to use the Recovery CD's to restore your system configuration. Please be advised that this will erase any personal data files you have on the hard drive. Put Recovery disk 1 in your CD drive and power up the notebook using your AC adapter (battery may not last long enough to complete this process.) When the HP logo screen appears, press ESC to display the boot menu. Use your arrow keys to select your CD-ROM and press ENTER. Follow the on-screen prompts accepting "recommended" settings it presents. When prompted to reboot the system, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot. If all goes well, you will be back to original working state. You will need to reinstall your programs esp. antivirus.