Computer not finding usb webcam

edited April 2010 in Hardware
I have an Hp desktop running windows vista sp2. The webcam worked flawlessly for months and then i went months without using it. I plugged it in after a while and nothing happened. Drivers and program were still installed but said could not detect any device. I uninstalled the drivers reinstalled them and still the same problem occurs. The usb detects other devices just not the webcam( i tried 2 by the way). can't figure out why, any suggestions?

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2010
    Have you tried it in another usb port? and how many usb devices are you using?
  • edited March 2010
    RichD wrote:
    Have you tried it in another usb port? and how many usb devices are you using?

there is 4, i have tried it in all four and with the webcam all 4 would be in use. I did unplug one and plug in the camera and no change.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2010
    it maybe that you have too many devices plugged in and your system cant provide enough power to your camera try unplugging some of you other stuff and see if it works
  • edited March 2010
    still no luck.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2010
    does the camera work on another PC?
  • edited March 2010
    yes, tried it on two other computers it worked fine, and also tried a different webcam with no prevail
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2010
    are the two different webcams the same model?
  • edited March 2010
    No, two different brands. Its odd how at one time it worked..
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2010
    hmm...

it is odd. and there are no conflicts or issues showing up in device manager.

I would suggest that it it is a software issue. Try updating your MB drivers (in Particular USB) and also try re-installing the software that you use your webcam with.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2010
    I helped someone with a similar issue.. their problem was DirectX, they didn't have the latest version. Unplug the camera, then download and install the newest dswebsetup.exe here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
    Reboot and then plugin the cam and see if it's detected.
  • edited March 2010
    I updated direct x with no change, i uninstalled and went to reinstall driver/software and i got an error. seems that everything is up to date as well.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2010
    Bigciccone wrote:
    I updated direct x with no change, i uninstalled and went to reinstall driver/software and i got an error. seems that everything is up to date as well.

That could be the cause of the problem. Looks like the driver is not set up properly.

I would uninstall all the webcam software. then install it from scratch. when you run the installer make sure you right click and choose run as administrator.

You may well have you account set up admin but under Vista the run as admin still makes a difference. eg spybot wont imunise unless you run it as administrator.
  • edited March 2010
    RichD wrote:
    That could be the cause of the problem. Looks like the driver is not set up properly.

I would uninstall all the webcam software. then install it from scratch. when you run the installer make sure you right click and choose run as administrator.

You may well have you account set up admin but under Vista the run as admin still makes a difference. eg spybot wont imunise unless you run it as administrator.

Well i did as you said, while installing i received yet another error (attached) and then it seemed to install fine and ask to reboot, i clicked yes and the computer would not reboot just stayed stuck at the shutting down screen. Turned it back on and plugged in the camera and still nothing, the computer doesn't seem to find the camera.
  • edited March 2010
    Forgot to attach error
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    After doing a quick search. It seems as though the setupapi.exe is a virus. Well, it's adware but close enough...

Have a quick look at this link and if those processes are running. You got a "virus"...

edit: Ignore the link on the site to download the "virus checker/cleaner". Just DL HiJackThis and post your log on the spyware forum...
  • edited March 2010
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    After doing a quick search. It seems as though the setupapi.exe is a virus. Well, it's adware but close enough...

Have a quick look at this link and if those processes are running. You got a "virus"...

edit: Ignore the link on the site to download the "virus checker/cleaner". Just DL HiJackThis and post your log on the spyware forum...

None of those processes seem to be running, still want to send it over to the spyware forum?
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Bigciccone wrote:
    None of those processes seem to be running, still want to send it over to the spyware forum?

If you're absolutely positive none of those processes are running (anything that relates to "slagent") then the only other option I have for you is to go to the microsoft update site and see if that works...

I'd still recommend putting your HiJackThis log on the spyware forum. It's better to be safe then sorry

...If the updates work then your problem related to this
  • edited March 2010
    yea i didnt see anything related to it but i'll post it anyways. Also all updates are downloaded and installed already. thanks
  • edited April 2010
    Don't know if i should repost or not, but since the spyware forums here are loaded with too many questions a member redirected me to another site and helped me out. I'm now spyware/malware virus free and would like to find out what the problem is. here is the link that discussing my problem. http://www.battlevirus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17