How can I open up my unreadable external hard drive? Please help!

edited March 2010 in Hardware
Ok, here's the situation: I've just detected the virus called usbdur, using the AVG Anti virus, and I've deleted that virus. Apparently, my laptop can't detect my external hard drive after that. it won't appear in My Computer, and there's no Autorun for it. The USB ports work fine, because it can read my flash drives and optical mouse. My external hard drive lights up, but there's no whirring inside it, and no ticking sounds whatsoever. I checked device manager, and all the USB hubs are working fine. So I guess it's a problem with my external hard drive, and I'm wondering how could I access my files inside it? I've tried chkdsk, TestDisk, TweakUI, PC Inspector File Recovery.. and all of them can't detect my external hard drive! I really need to access my external hard drive, and it really is a waste of money to throw away that really expensive piece of equipment and all that hardwork inside it :( any help would be greatly appreciated! Please, I've tried every option available that i could find on the web, so this is really my very last resort..

I'm using Windows XP with Service Pack 2. My external hard drive is Hitachi 2.5" 500GB External Hard Drive with a USB 2.0.

Comments

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    "My external hard drive lights up, but there's no whirring inside it, and no ticking sounds whatsoever."

My old 500gb WD external did something similar. The solution? Open up the case with a non-magnetic screw driver, take the case off, remove the SATA->USB connector and plug the drive into your computer....

If it's not "whiring" and the light does come on, it's prob an issue with getting enough power to your drive...

In my situation, I put a 250gb in the 500gb case and it works fine...