SSD & Win 7

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Hardware
I couldn't stand it, I HAD to have one!!! I just pulled the trigger on a new build that includes this

OCZ Agility Series SATA II 2.5" SSD 60Gb

I want to do this right the first time, so that's why I'm asking for clarification.

I need to install Windows 7 64 bit Upgrade on this drive. I will have to install XP first then do the upgrade just as I did the first time with my mechanical drive, right?

I intend to move the swap file to another drive and install everything else to other drives as well.

This drive does support trim, and its Win 7, but do I need to DO anything? What tweaks do you recommend?

P.S. I will update my signature later, sorry out of time. DONE!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    You will most likely be able to install the Windows 7 upgrade with no prior OS on the system. I did it two weeks ago.

As for tweaks: Move the page file to a mechanical disk, then use this utility.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    You will most likely be able to install the Windows 7 upgrade with no prior OS on the system. I did it two weeks ago.

I tried that the first time, and it would not take my "Key". I installed XP until it booted on its own, then installed the Windows 7 upgrade no problems. What did I miss? What did you do different/special?

And thanks for Link!;)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Windows 7 has 3 possible tweaks.

Turn off Auto defrag, disable indexing, disable superfetch.

Job done.
    edited March 2010
    ^ Don't forget 8.3 names.
    edited March 2010
    Zuntar wrote:
    I tried that the first time, and it would not take my "Key". I installed XP until it booted on its own, then installed the Windows 7 upgrade no problems. What did I miss? What did you do different/special?

And thanks for Link!;)

Didn't do anything special. Clean drive, no other drives on the system, just installed it. :O
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    ^ Don't forget 8.3 names.
    That is not necessary, I listed the only 3 that really matter.
    edited March 2010
    Ryder, so what is the point of this, if this drive supports trim? Should I install it?
    edited March 2010
    It's for Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista, which do not support TRIM. Do not install it on Windows 7.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Windows 7 has 3 possible tweaks.

Turn off Auto defrag, disable indexing, disable superfetch.

Job done.

I understand auto-defrag and indexing on an SSD. But superfetch? What's the reasoning behind disabling caching the most commonly-used executable code in RAM?
    edited March 2010
    SuperFetch makes heavy use of the hard disk, and it's not a necessary service when those apps can be accessed from NAND.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Ahh... Hadn't thought about that. Makes sense. Still used to living in a spindle-driven world.
    edited March 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    It's for Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista, which do not support TRIM. Do not install it on Windows 7.

Yea, it would help if I were to read, don't mind the village idiot.:screwy:;D