Mobo Woes

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Hardware
Here is the story:
I restarted computer after uninstalling some software and upon reboot, could not get any video from video card (BFG GTX 285OC) in PCI-E slot, though the computer rebooted normally (I could hear the windows booting noises through speakers). I reset BIOS and tried onboard and got nothing as well (mobo is Asus M3A78-T). I sat on it for a while because I didn't have time over break to mess with it (damn those normal jobs). I finally got an RMA, sent it in, came back and onboard was working, but got no video from card in PCI-E slot (caused speaker to shoot out error beeps when I set to use card only). I figured it might have been a problem with card, so I exchanged it for a XFX 5770. Still had video from on-board, changed BIOS to vid card only, same error beeps. So, my presumption was that there was still a problem with the board. Got a new RMA, sent it back. Board gets in yesterday, I got all excited, plugged everything in, and back to no video on anything. Epic levels of frustration ensue. Called Asus, tech reported that it was "no fault found". I call bullsh*t. This exact setup functioned better two weeks ago, and now its broken? CPU and memory were stored in ESD safe bag, and PSU has been plugged into a UPS since build in February 09. I've done different combinations of BIOS resets, arrangements of memory, pulled CPU and still got no beeps from BIOS speaker (that worked two weeks ago).

Questions:
1) What can I test before sending this board back (tech mentioned a swap, which I presume to mean for a refurb board)? I'm willing to buy/borrow a multimeter (or power supply tester) to test PSU if that seems necessary, but would like some guidance on how (pointing to a website is fine) and what brand(s) are recommended.
2) Did I miss anything? Let me know if I need to post more info

Parts (all parts are from Feb 09 unless otherwise noted):
CPU - Phenom II x4 940
PSU - BFG 650W
Vid Card - XFX 5770 (brand new)
Mobo - Asus M3A78-T
RAM - 4x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2-1066 (running at 800 because of AMD chip limitation)

Pre-thanks for the help!

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2010
    It could be your PSU. If your card isn't getting sufficient power it wont work but it seems odd that uninstalling software would cause this. It could be coincidence but I am not a big believer in coincidence. I would test your PCI-E Cable with a multimeter as a start or try swapping it out if you have a spare.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    RichD wrote:
    It could be your PSU. If your card isn't getting sufficient power it wont work but it seems odd that uninstalling software would cause this. It could be coincidence but I am not a big believer in coincidence. I would test your PCI-E Cable with a multimeter as a start or try swapping it out if you have a spare.

Yeah I find it highly unlikely that the software uninstall had anything to do with it and I also do not believe in coincidence.

I'm going to buy a multimeter tomorrow and start testing.

Update: ordered the multimeter today, will arrive next week. I'll post back then. I honestly hope its the power supply, I don't want to trade out my mobo if it doesn't need it.
    edited March 2010
    Update 2: _k_ loaned me a PSU, plugged just that in with a couple sticks of RAM and my CPU. No BIOS beeps, no video (obviously). If Asus is going to swap me for this board, does that mean I'm getting a refurb board? What does that do with warranty?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2010
    in the uk if you swap a faulty item the duration of the warrenty on the old item is carried over to the replacment.
    edited March 2010
    I think that is how it works here as well. I got to tier 3 at 8PM on the 29th, got authorized for a replacement via cross-ship, shipped my board yesterday, and notified them that night. Got a note from them this morning that new board is authorized for shipment and I'll get a tracking number as soon as the board is prepped for shipping.

Interesting note: the tech I talked to who transferred me to tier 3 (QA) said that a chip had been replaced while it was there, so at least one tech support agent I talked to either misread or lied to me. If this board works out, Asus didn't lose me yet. If the new board doesn't, I'm probably turning my business elsewhere.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited April 2010
    Asus lost me when I bought an M2N Mobo which needed flashing to even get the vista install to work then kept rebooting post install and then blew up within a day of receipt. I broke my golden rule and bought a new board from my local PC World which is the gigabyte one I currently have installed and it installed and booted fine first time.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    SPOILERS: Last I checked, Asus owns 49% of Gigabyte.
    edited April 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    SPOILERS: Last I checked, Asus owns 49% of Gigabyte.
    That made me lol. I'm calling them today at lunch, because I have not received a "here is your new tracking number" email yet.
    edited April 2010
    For those who were following,

Asus ended up getting the new mobo to me (a week after it was supposed to arrive). Dropped it in, threw in components, working great!