Expo Icrontic 2010 Flight Discussion

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Community
Holy crap, I'm flying this year. I should probably find some tickets.

I don't know yet if I'll fly into DTW, or fly into SBN and drive with friends/family. Depends on who all is going from the Indiana crew.

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Holy crap, I'm flying this year. I should probably find some tickets.

I don't know yet if I'll fly into DTW, or fly into SBN and drive with friends/family. Depends on who all is going from the Indiana crew.

Well Ghoosdum and I are trying to plan the same flight from LA to Detroit, so I'll let you know when we figure it out and we can see if we can all get on the same flight if you're going into DTW.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Ok sweet, sounds awesome.
    edited March 2010
    I looked at Bobby's flight but it was $674 for the one way. (I'll be flying back to Orlando after EPIC so I'll need a one way to DTW.)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    I looked at Bobby's flight but it was $674 for the one way. (I'll be flying back to Orlando after EPIC so I'll need a one way to DTW.)

More to not understand about airline prices, I paid 1/2 that for the round trip.

-Bobby
    edited March 2010
    Yep. It was $150 cheaper to route my Orlando - LA flight through Milwaukee, WI than through Atlanta or Houston.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I checked Priceline.com, Orbitz.com, Travelosity.com, Expedia.com, Kayak.com, Hotwire.com and they were all about the same price = $199.

My wonderful suggested I go straight to Southwest Airlines and BINGO. $171 with the exact times and locations I wanted!!!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Prices for late June still haven't dropped. I'm still waiting.
    edited April 2010
    I'm searching primarily June 22, from SNA, LGB, or ONT to DTW. Right now they're coming in and holding steady at $170, but I've seen much lower, so I'm still waiting.
    edited April 2010
    What about LAX? And what do the round trip ticket costs look like?
    edited April 2010
    I would prefer LAX since that's the only one Airtran flys through and I have about $80 in credits, but I'm open to others if it's cheaper/closer for the drive. Plus the only three flights from LAX-DTW suck as far as their schedule. Leave at 645AM, leave at Noon-arrive 1215AM or leave 1130PM-Arrive 1045AM the next day. Prices are around 170 one way as well.
    edited April 2010
    Round trips are around $360 right now for some reason I can't explain (I've found round trips for $220-$260 in the past).

If you can figure out how we'll get to LAX, I'll entertain the notion of flying out of there. However, I'm not going to leave my car at LAX for $13.95 per day for a week and a half (I'm staying in Cincinnati for a bit after EPIC), and I wouldn't want to burden anyone else by having them drive us there. Olivia will already be out of town before we leave.

Leaving from LAX is best done before 7AM and after 9PM, and just okay from about noon until 3PM because traffic is horrible during the four hours of each rush hour. So the flights that Airtran has from LAX to DTW are at decent times actually. Even without traffic, the drive to LAX is three times longer than the drive to SNA.

I hate LAX with a passion, but that is probably because everyone that visits comes into LAX instead of SNA to save twenty bucks on their flight. Right now the cheapest flight I can see out of LAX is $165 one way (five dollars less than SNA) and $336 round trip, about $24 less than SNA.
    edited April 2010
    Well I was operating under the assumption that flights would be quite a bit cheaper out of LAX, but if it's only 5-10 dollar difference, then I am certainly willing to fly from SNA.
    edited April 2010
    You think the prices will still dip? $260 is a very attractive number for a round trip.
    edited April 2010
    I watched the flight prices from LAX to DTW from Jan 'til I pulled the trigger on mine in March. $330 I think was the lowest I saw and that was 1 day then the flight was gone the next day. I will be green with envy if they drop $100 before June.

-Bobby
    edited April 2010
    I think prices usually bottom out around 2 months before the travel dates, I'm expecting in the next two weeks to see the trough of flight prices for the June dates. If they stay around what they are now by April 25 or so, I'm going to book.
    edited April 2010
    Yesterday I found one of the most ridiculous flight schedules ever.

Flying from Long Beach to Detroit, via Seattle, then via LAX. Flies directly from LAX to DTW. Total time for this trip is 15 hours (6AM PST Tuesday to 12AM EST Wednesday) and the price was $134. (Taking the same flight that is the last leg of this journey from LAX to DTW would cost $300 one way)

Long Beach is 22 miles from LAX.
    edited April 2010
    So Long Beach to Seattle, then to LAX, THEN to DTW?

Ooff, my body aches just thinking about it.
    edited April 2010
    Could you just buy the entire flight (saving teh $$) and drive straight to LAX for your direct flight?

-Bobby
    edited April 2010
    Airlines usually won't let you on a connection when you miss the origin any more these days. They claim it's a security thing, but I don't know.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    They used to allow that. It's always been cheaper t fly out of DAY rather than CVG, but almost all flights out of DAY make a stop in CVG, so when I was a kid, my family used to book flights through DAY, then drive to CVG, and they'd let us on, we just couldn't check any luggage.

They changed the rules about 15 years ago, however, and you can't do that anymore. If you miss the first plane, you miss the whole journey.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Here's a cool way of tracking flights
    http://flightaware.com/
    I use it at JIA to check flights for people waiting for people coming in.
    All you need is the airline and tail no# and it will tell you when it
    took off, when it will land, and how long is left in the flight.
    It also have a map that shows you where the flight is in the air
    which most people find to be cool.
    On the page on the left about half way down is where you put
    the flight you are looking for. You can also put in the airport and
    see the air traffic for that airport. Just something fun to play with.
    edited May 2010
    Hey Bobby... Joe and I are ready to book. Basically we think the prices are holding pretty steady around $170 one way. What is your plan for traveling out there? Are you going to join us on the flight straight to DTW or are you flying into Indiana and driving up with those guys?
    edited May 2010
    I'll make some phone calls, find out who from my friends/family in Indiana, and then decide if I'm flying to DTW or SBN. I'll let you know very soon.

Do the prices differ much to SBN than they do to DTW?
    edited May 2010
    They only seem to differ by a few dollars.
    edited May 2010
    It seems that Crazy Joe and GHoosdum are is some kind of time warp
    on the agenda in the calendar. They first start to get to the D at
    11:56pm and not fully there till 12:56am. I think they need to supply
    more power to their transporter it would speed things up.
    Guess that what you get when you buy old Star Trek surplus ;D;D;D;D

Tuesday, June 22
    Arrival - Red Dragon
    11:55am

Arrival - Mertesn
    12:30pm

Arrival - DogDragon
    1:07pm

Arrival - Crazy Joe
    11:56pm

Arrival - GHoosdum
    11:56pm

Wednesday, June 23

Arrival - GHoosdum
    » 12:56am

Arrival - Crazy Joe
    » 12:56am

Arrival - QCH
    6:45pm

Arrival - Bobby1211
    8:44pm
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I allot 1 hour so it can be read on the calendar. Been doing it that way for years but this is the first time someone had a flight arrive or depart between 11pm and midnight.
    edited May 2010
    QCH wrote:
    I allot 1 hour so it can be read on the calendar. Been doing it that way for years but this is the first time someone had a flight arrive or depart between 11pm and midnight.

Ok , you can say that. But, I still think they need to call Scotty to find out
    how to overclock the transporter ;D;D;D