Hexus.net killed by Fermi

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited March 2010 in Hardware
Hexus.net has posted the first review on the GTX 480 and well. Their entire site is now down. Hopefully traffic will subside soon and we can read the review first hand.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=21651&page=13

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Hexus.net has posted the first review on the GTX 480 and well. Their entire site is now down. Hopefully traffic will subside soon and we can read the review first hand.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=21651&page=13

Big, hot and unavailable.....

Reviewed!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    NDA is not supposed to lift until later (although Hexus is UK).

Link seems to point to something not found on the site. Me thinks they put it up prematurely and then pulled.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    The link is live if you can get to hexus.net you can see the article still listed. (Note it has been removed now :()

As for availability the card will be more abundant that AMD's 5000 series launch. And the benchmarks shown at Hexus.net show the card beating out AMD and on the heals of the 5970. I should of grabbed screens while I could.
    edited March 2010
    I can get to Hexus.net just fine, have been able to for the last 20 min or so.

I see no link to any Fermi review. They have an article about the launch event at Scan which was scheduled for today and tomorrow.

There are 2 teasers, but no actual review.
    edited March 2010
    As for availability the card will be more abundant that AMD's 5000 series launch.

Well, it should be, its about seven months late....

Still, the Nvidia fanboy crowd will buy em up and you wont be able to find them, then they will be resorting to baking them in an oven or something to restore their broken glitch ridden hot boxes. (Silly Nvidia fanboy's, they never learn)

Good news is, the refurb market will be loaded with them in a few months. Hey, look its refurmi'd!!
    edited March 2010
    Not sure why the PNG files are all broken... here is the link to the files pulled form Hexus.net

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=259257&mpage=1#259314

BFBC2:
    bc2a.png

bc2b.png

bc2c.png

Dirt 2:
    dirt2a.png

dirt2b.png

dirt2c.png

Far Cry 2:

fc2a.png

fc2b.png

fc2c.png

Crysis Warheard :

015rym.png

02mpru.png

03esbz.png

H.A.W.X

11yr3q.png
    13fp8n.png
    13fp8n.png

TEMPS n POWER

37383718.png

96558056.png
    bangforbuck.jpg
    bangforbuck2.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Well, it should be, its about seven months late....

Still, the Nvidia fanboy crowd will buy em up and you wont be able to find them, then they will be resorting to baking them in an oven or something to restore their broken glitch ridden hot boxes. (Silly Nvidia fanboy's, they never learn)

Good news is, the refurb market will be loaded with them in a few months. Hey, look its refurmi'd!!

The 5000 were hard to find as all the ATI fan boi's picked them up and than guess what.... they were found being resold as well because of shit driver support.

Your response is unfounded and is based on rumors at this point Cliff. Stop being a ATI troll.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Trolling EVGA employees is fair game, says me.
    edited March 2010
    LOL, stop being an Nvidia shill ;)

He uses ATI, you use Nvidia, neither of you will see the other side of things.

;D;D
    edited March 2010
    Not sure why the PNG files are all broken... here is the link to the files pulled form Hexus.net

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=259257&mpage=1#259314

...SNIP... Really, quote the whole thing? ;D

First off let me say, I have never, and I mean never loaded my stock 5870 anywhere near 80 C. I don't know if their lab is hot, or if their measurement technique is better, or what, but I don't even arrive near that. An hour of furmark over-clocked and I can't get it much past 60 with the CCC controlling the fan.

That out of the way, when you think about it, real world, what benchmarks really count when you are talking the best most expensive cards in the world? I'll tell you, the benchmarks that give you a struggle to get to 60 FPS. Anything significantly over monitor refresh, meh, its just benchmarking for the sake of it, but things get really interesting when you run BF BC2 and Crysis Warhead in uber high resolutions. Looks like AMD is still winning the real battle if you ask me.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    About what I expected.
    edited March 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:

;D;D

The difference between me and sledge is that sledge is in fanboy denial...

I know I'm an ATI fanboy. I take comfort in it knowing I'm always right. :wink:
    edited March 2010
    I would hope the 5970 beats the GTX 480 its 2 chips on one card. but overall the 480 is faster in all the tests vs the 5870 which is ATI's comparable card.

As for temps my 5970 under load sat above 85c+ under load, but in fairness my GTX 295 was at 81C under load. Yes these card will run hot, but they are fast cards.

I have also freely admitted in being an Nvidia fanboi. Maybe if you have been around as long as I have been you would know that.
    edited March 2010
    Hey, what do you call a graphics card that is resold after failing due to 95 C load temps?

Refurmi'd

Get it!
    edited March 2010
    it all good... Just know you own a slower card :) that may run cooler under load.
    RyderOCZ wrote:

;D;D

I do also own ATI products. I just do not prefer them Ryder.
    edited March 2010
    it all good... Just know you own a slower card :) that may run cooler under load.

And mine will still work in a few months :wink:

(for the record, I like you sledge, I just needed to unleash my inner fanboy and you were the closest, most available target)
    edited March 2010
    And mine will still work in a few months :wink

I highly doubt these card will not be working. If it is the case than that's why I buy products with lifetime warranties. Either or neither of us can see what the outcome of cards running that hot will do. Nvidia knows how cards run like that. The GTX 295 ref design card hit well above those temps on certain rev's and they still run to this day.
    edited March 2010
    I highly doubt these card will not be working. if it is the case than that's why I buy products with lifetime warranties. Either or neither of us can see what the outcome of cards running that hot will do. Nvidia knows how card run like that. the GTX 295 ref design card hit well above those temps on certain rev's and they still run to this day.

Well, they are different monsters. Fermi is a HUGE single die that has to dissipate a load of heat from a single point. They lowered the stock clocks for a reason.
    edited March 2010
    But even at lower clocks the card runs under full load without issues. My GTX 295 had both cores running at 80c+ under 98% load. These temps are in line with other GTX 295's I have looked at. Anything over 90C on the GTX 295 is hotter than Nvidia would like to see anything above 100c for long time lines can cause damage to the product.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I would hope the 5970 beats the GTX 480 its 2 chips on one card. but overall the 480 is faster in all the tests vs the 5870 which is ATI's comparable card.

5970 is 2 chips on a single card that still consumes less power than the GTX480. At least from those pictures, it looks like AMD still wins performance/watt hands down.

AMD also has the luxury of being able to cut prices right at NVIDIA's release. I look forward to comprehensive reviews of Crossfire 58xx vs GTX 480. If given the option of picking up an additional 5850 for a good price, beating or matching the GTX 480, and still consuming less power I would be all over it and I doubt I'd be the only one.
    edited March 2010
    Okay, lets get this straight,

So Fermi draws 67% more wattage than a 5870, but only runs 16% hotter? I know its not a 1/1 thing, but come on....

The only explanation is they ramped its fan up, and the 5870's down. Like I said, I have never, ever loaded my 5870 at 80 C, ever....
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    You're not trying very hard. With GPU folding and leaving the fan at CCC's control, I got artifacting right out of the gate, and saw the GPU at 95. Shut down GPU folding and locked the fan at 40% - JUST FORTY PERCENT - and it kept it below 50.

Once again, ATI drivers sucking balls. Good hardware, shitty software.

Can we please stop the ridiculous trolling now?
    edited March 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    You're not trying very hard. With GPU folding and leaving the fan at CCC's control, I got artifacting right out of the gate, and saw the GPU at 95. Shut down GPU folding and locked the fan at 40% - JUST FORTY PERCENT - and it kept it below 50.

Once again, ATI drivers sucking balls. Good hardware, shitty software.

Can we please stop the ridiculous trolling now?

So we are saying that because AMD customers prefer a product that does not sound like a hair dryer.....
    edited March 2010
    They would apparently prefer it so much that AMD's willing to burn out their cards. Kind of sounds like your beef with NVIDIA...
    edited March 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    They would apparently prefer it so much that AMD's willing to burn out their cards. Kind of sounds like your beef with NVIDIA...

I've never, ever, loaded my 5870 to 80 C, I just want to know what methodology was used for loading the cards.

Do you honestly think a 5870 is only 16% cooler than Fermi after everything you have read about it? Really? For real? :confused:
    edited March 2010
    Well most things Cliff are based on rumors. I agree it is a hot card and it clearly used a ton of wattage. But depending on the voltage and memory will depict just how hot the card will get.
    edited March 2010
    I don't believe anything. I'm not looking at the numbers. I'm saying you've apparently not tried to get your card very hot, and if you had, that CCC would not have saved you worth a damn - causing the very same heat death you're so happy to taunt NVIDIA buyers with.

In other words, shut your trolling mouth.
    edited March 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    I don't believe anything. I'm not looking at the numbers. I'm saying you've apparently not tried to get your card very hot, and if you had, that CCC would not have saved you worth a damn - causing the very same heat death you're so happy to taunt NVIDIA buyers with.

In other words, shut your trolling mouth.

Loading an over-clocked card for an hour in furmark is not trying hard enough?
    edited March 2010
    Actually I almost will not count FurMark as a true test... let me explain why.

I have a GPU that artifacts in games as some memory on the card is bad. Knowing where and what memory causing the issue is near impossible to locate with programs available to us. But under FurMark the card runs like a champ with no issues in either the Burn test stability test and benchmarking test. In general Furmark puts the core under stress but not all the memory.

Overall your going to get accurate GPU temps with just the core running 100% memory might add 1-5c on top of that if it is all being used. But in your case and to counteract Snark, Cliff has put his card under load and they do run fairly cool. Its just how his card runs, batches are always different and dies can make or break how hot a die will run.
  • OptixOptix New Brunswick, Canada
    edited March 2010
    Big, hot and unavailable.....
    Sounds like that girl in the bar waaaaaay back when I was 19. Phew! Lucked out with that last quality.

Damn beer goggles.