SFTP Server and Client

CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Science & Tech
At my company, we are currently using IIS for our FTP, and it's terrible to deal with. We have no simple way of creating separate logins and preventing access to other directories.

I've been tasked with finding an SFTP server. Here's our guidelines:
  • Under $1000 - preferably free, but if there's a feature that is worth the cost, then we're willing to look.
  • Run on Windows - this will be a multipurpose box since our FTP site doesn't get a lot of use, and we're primarily Microsoft.
  • Possible LDAP support - this one isn't huge, but it *may* make management easier.
  • Simple to manage and access - we have techs and clients that range from beginner to tech-savvy. We'd like it to be simple for us to manage the server side, and simple for clients to access what we delegate.

I've setup FTP servers before, but never SFTP. Is it really much different? Are there any "gotchas" I should look out for? Any information is helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    For what it's worth: SFTP is a very different beast from FTP. It's basically a utility app that runs on both sides of an SSH connection. And, SSH is typically better supported on Linux/UNIX servers than Windows servers.

It's been a few years, but I have at one point set up SFTP on a Windows server using Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/). You could also use SSHWindows (http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/), which is basically a stripped-down Cygwin. But, if you're doing any of that, you might as well set up a small Linux box or a VM on a Windows box. (Though, that starts feeling like a janky Rube Goldberg machine at that point.)

Beyond that, you can hit the Googles like you're probably already doing and see things like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SFTP_server_software
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, lmorchard. I was definitely looking for some insight and experiences. Been Googling, and I'll probably give SSHWindows a go. I'm waiting on a virtualization project to get through the approval process. Until then, I only have Windows boxes to work with. I may look into setting up a Linux VM once we get to that point.
    edited March 2010
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Thanks, lmorchard. I was definitely looking for some insight and experiences. Been Googling, and I'll probably give SSHWindows a go. I'm waiting on a virtualization project to get through the approval process. Until then, I only have Windows boxes to work with. I may look into setting up a Linux VM once we get to that point.

I'm definitely more a Linux- and a Mac-head than a Windows guy, so there's that to take with a grain of salt. A linux box with SFTP and LDAP-backed authentication is easier in my mind to setup than the same on Windows - but that's likely my ignorance talking.

I assume there's something other than SFTP that's easier to set up on Windows. Say, FTP over SSL or something like that. You may want to consider that as well. Though I've never done it on Windows myself. Here's a link mentioning how to do it on IIS, which you already mentioned wanting to ditch, but meh:

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/304/using-ftp-over-ssl/
    edited March 2010
    I can definitely recognize the shortfalls of Windows handling most hosting of anything designed for the web. I'm primarily a Microsoft guy. I could go on all day about Active Directory, Exchange, etc. It's just what I ended up in. I've never had a huge necessity to learn Unix/Linux, so I never have. This may be a good project to start learning a little more.

There's really only two of us that would be handling this server, and neither of us are Linux guys. Not to say I can't get around in Linux, but not having to think about what I'm doing in a Windows environment saves me precious time. We have four AD migrations on our plate in the next 2-3 months, so some things are taking priority. :)

I'm setting up a Windows VM on my personal test server right now. I'm going to check out CopSSH and SSHWindows. Possibly freeFTPd as well. I like that CopSSH and freeFTPd are recently updated projects.

I think we're going to forgo the LDAP integration at this point. After further consideration, we just don't use this service enough to warranty adding that level of complexity.
    edited March 2010
    Cyclonite wrote:
    There's really only two of us that would be handling this server, and neither of us are Linux guys. Not to say I can't get around in Linux, but not having to think about what I'm doing in a Windows environment saves me precious time. We have four AD migrations on our plate in the next 2-3 months, so some things are taking priority. :)

Yeah, I'm not so much an OS zealot, so I'd be first to say it's not worth banging your head against an unfamilar Linux wall if don't have the time/money/staffing to bother with it.
    Cyclonite wrote:
    I'm setting up a Windows VM on my personal test server right now. I'm going to check out CopSSH and SSHWindows. Possibly freeFTPd as well. I like that CopSSH and freeFTPd are recently updated projects.

I think we're going to forgo the LDAP integration at this point. After further consideration, we just don't use this service enough to warranty adding that level of complexity.

Good luck, man... Hope one of those solutions works out for ya!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I have used Globalscape SFTP server and client products in many different scenarios with many great successes.

http://globalscape.com/eft/
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, prime. That looks like what I'd really like to have. Obviously, they prefer the cheaper solutions, but I'm hoping we can get there. :)
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Just remind them that the more difficult it is for you to set up, the more money they have to spend paying you to do it ;) They may be better off shelling out for Globalscape SFTP just to save you time.