Ad banner in the Header

clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
edited April 2010 in Community
This is a special note letting everyone know the Ad Banner does not bother me. The expanding Ad Banner doesn't bother me either. The fact that I must find a non-linked location to click in order to collapse the Ad Banner does bother me.

If the Ad Banner would collapse when you mouse off of the Ad Banner, I would have no complaints. I am begging you to remove them or have them reconfigured to collapse during a mouseout event.

It's bad enough, I don't like spending allot of time here. I could only imagine that I am not alone.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Can you take a screenshot of what you are referring to, Clifford? :)
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited March 2010
    The normal Ad Banner
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28298&d=1269983090
    Colapse.jpg

The Ad Banner Expanded
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28299&d=1269983090
    Expand.jpg
    edited March 2010
    I would also like to add that while they are expanded, they will not scroll with the page. This keeps them on top of what I am trying to read until I click somewhere to have it collapse back to normal.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Sorry you had a bad experience and thank you for taking the time to tell us about it. I'll point this out to Brian and we'll see if we can be a bit more discerning about the banner ad's behavior.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Lincoln

I probably should have said something before it irritated me so much. I don't think I want to chalk that up to a bad experience. Lets call it annoying instead.

Did you guys do something?
    It hasn't been expanding all evening.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    We did nothing yet. Perhaps the ad provider found a bug in the banner and fixed it.
    edited March 2010
    I'm finding that hard to believe. The ad provider finding a bug just moments after I mention the annoyance. I'm thinking what happened was the ad provider rotated to an ad that didn't expand.

I'm not calling it a bug. I call it inconsiderate programing of ads.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I'm calling it a bug, but you can call it whatever you want. Trust me when I say the ad provider didn't even know of this complaint's existence "just moments after you mentioned it". :rolleyes:
    edited March 2010
    Trust me when I say the ad provider didn't even know of this complaint's existence "just moments after you mentioned it".
    I think that is what I was finding hard to believe. But that is the way you was making it sound. I'm sorry if I took it the wrong way.

The reason I am not calling it a bug is because I have seen this behaver on many of website. Needless to say, I didn't stay on those sites long. If you want to dismiss it as a bug, I will bother you no more and simply wait for the next round.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Clifford, allow me to translate what prime was (I believe) trying to say:

"It's fixed? Well, hell if I know how. We'll have to look into it if it shows up again. If it doesn't, then everything's fine."
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Quady

It's specific Ad's that are the problem. Not all the ad's are designed to expand when you mouse over them. I don't have a problem with them expanding, if only they would collapse when I mouse off of them. Who ever designed the ad's is probably the one that will need to make the changes. If there is absolutely no way to control which ad's are being used or how they respond to user interaction, then this thread is a waste of time.

The ad that I posted at the top of this thread, I have not seen, since shortly after I started the thread. The only Ad I have noticed today expanding is the Sony Ad. It would be nice to know that I am not the only one this irritates.

It is in my opinion that you can not call intentional design a bug.
    edited April 2010
    You can add M&M to the list that expand.
    edited April 2010
    You can add "PennyTalk" to the list that expand.

This is getting old. If I didn't need a few more answers about F@H, I would go ahead and leave.

I'm going to consider this thread closed. I brought the problem to the tables. Thats all I can do.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    How often do you really roll over the topmost section of the site? And how hard is it to click the little X? Do you go over every ad checking if they expand?

I've never seen somebody get so furious they'd /quit over ads that don't even blare sound at you automatically.

That said, Icrontic has a subscriber option that will hide all ads across the site for a nominal fee as an alternative.
    edited April 2010
    Everytime I change pages or cursor over the top of the page. It's not difficult, its the fact that I have too everytime I change pages.
    edited April 2010
    I guess that's the part I don't understand. What pages are you changing that you hit it this much? Are you going between home, tech, gaming, life, and community pages?
    edited April 2010
    Each thread shows a post count (mine is set to 20). That would be one page. If I want to see the next set of post, I would need to change pages. If I check 20 pages in one day (I do check more than 20), that would be 20 times (if the banner expands each time) I would need to collapse the ad. It's a reputition that is not needed and highly annoying to me.
    edited April 2010
    Assuming you mean you're checking the next page in a thread, the page links are at the bottom of the thread; you never have to go to the top.

You've also said the banner only expands on mouseover. If you never roll over the top of the page, it should never expand. If it expands every time you change page threads without you making contact with the ad, then yes, I can imagine that would be annoying - but that's not what you've said it's doing, so I'm a bit confused.
    edited April 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Assuming you mean you're checking the next page in a thread, the page links are at the bottom of the thread; you never have to go to the top.
    That is true but the next page still has to be loaded and the ads are too. This is when the ads are expanded while I am scrolling the page. I can be half way down the page when the ad finishes loading and the ad covers the top half of my browser and does not scroll with the page. So here I am taking time to remove the ad so I can read the page.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    How are you able to mouseover it if you've already scrolled halfway down the page? It sounds like you may have another problem altogether. What browser are you using and is your version of Flash up to date?

I can't say I've EVER had an issue with ads on this site. This is one of the few sites that I disable AdBlock for.
    edited April 2010
    What browser are you using
    Windows 7 special with automatic updating turned on.
    is your version of Flash up to date
    Adobe Flash Player Plugin 10.0.42.34
    Software Informer states 10.1.51.66 is the latest, which I couldn't find on adobe's website a few days ago.

We are not getting anywhere. Looks as if I am the only one having issues. It is also pointing to the possibility of blaming IE. Let me click Add Comment and then collapse the Ad Banner (Unless I'm lucky this time and have one that doesn't expand). Those who can make changes have read this thread. It's pointless in continuing. I have this impression that nothing is being done because no one is seeing the problem I am faced with. I am finished with the thread.
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to consider this thread closed. I brought the problem to the tables. Thats all I can do.
    A bug ticket was filed with Netshelter, our ad provider. We don't have direct access to just start booting ads; it's a process. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
    edited April 2010
    Lincoln, I'm not sure what was done. You posted that a bug ticket was filed and I have not seen an expanding banner since then.

I've had zero issues the last four days.
    edited April 2010
    In related news, I had our ad provider pull that annoying pop up survey that overstayed it's welcome.