Window XP Anti Malware MALWARE

Yesterday, somehow, I picked up a malware program with a title "Window XP Anti Malware" that will not allow me to access the internet and is chewing up processing during my computer sessions.

There is a screen shot that looks just like Windows Security Main screen (firewall, virus protection, etc.) however it states that nothing is active and launches into a system scan. Of course at the bottom it states you have to purchase to activate the software to get rid of this listing of malware identified (multiple file listing that I have yet to screen capture)

I've run IObit Security 360 (free version) and Advanced SystemCare Professional 3.5.1, but both did not find anything other than tracking cookies.

I'm running Windows XP will all service packs installed.

I'm currently using my work laptop to connect to the internet.

Any help is apperciated.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    Found a screen that said something to the effect (before rapidly disappearing) "Trojan-BNK.Win32.Keylogger.gen has infected Windows Internet Explorer. Windows recommend activate XP Malware. Click Yes to activiate and register your copy of XP Anti Malware and perform threat removal."

In addition, I have screen shots of the 27 threats this software says it detected. I hope I've attached them successfully.
  • edited April 2010
    Sorry for the typos, just found the "spelling feature". Please forgive the newbie.
  • OptixOptix New Brunswick, Canada
    edited April 2010
    Looks like what I am dealing with on a customer's rig. Check for ave.exe. That is the culprit for me. It causes virus warnings to pop up each time an exe file is opened/run.

Check out this link: http://www.malwarehelp.org/ave-exe-a-multiple-rogues-in-one-trojan-fakerean-2010.html

I haven't had a chance to test the removal method yet but will tonight.

I'm also having an issue where I cannot see the C: drive in the Storage section of Computer Management as well as svchost.exe using up 90-100% of CPU bandwidth and think the three may be related. I'm not sure if you are experiencing the same problems.

Likely I will end up reformatting because I have received a pop up or two about a file being incompatible but I'll try the removal process to test it at least.