Toys for testing are fun...

PetraPetra Palmdale, CA USA
edited April 2010 in Hardware
Well, I've finally gotten the most recent iteration of my CPU waterblock test system together... fun stuff. Photos, a few details, and a somewhat incoherent video tour are below.

systemOverview.jpg
systemClose.jpg
moboClose.jpg
flowmeterBase.jpg
systemUnderTable.jpg
workRoomRight.jpg
workRoomBLeft.jpg
drawers.jpg

Sleep deprived video tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OwoygkGKNs

I plan on using the system to run through and test most of the blocks in that drawer, with my goal being to put together a reasonably comprehensive library of CPU block performance data (ranging from old blocks like the WhiteWater to the latest stuff on the market) all gleaned from the same test system and, therefore, directly comparable (also somewhat more relevant, due to the presence of a soldered IHS). I'm not going to go too far into the details right now since I'm pretty tired and will likely botch any sort of explanation of what I've been up to for the past five years... lol

With that said, here's what's on that table covered in stuff:

- Omega FL-1504A-B flowmeter
- Sper Scientific 840081 manometer
- Extech EA15 data logging thermometer
- Volt-modded Asus P5K Deluxe
- Instrumented Intel E6400 (details on the process can be found in an early test run that I did with some heatsinks back in 2008 here...I've learned even more since then and have some new tricks up my sleeve)
- Iwaki RD-30 pump
- HW Labs BlackIce GTX480 radiator
- (8) Delta EFB1212HHF fans
...and some other junk you probably don't care about.

I'll cross-post this little intro thread in XS as well... but I did talk to Prime while at CES in January about turning my testing work into content for Icrontic, rather than it just being forum fodder and something to stick on my blog that nobody reads anyway. We'll see how things go (either way, this is still going to be the first time I've released this sort of waterblock data to the public)... I'll be whipping up my usual battery of pressure drop curves, deltaT (and, perhaps, thermal resistance) curves, as well as maybe gauging overall performance as a function of thermal resistance vs. pressure drop...or something like that.

Time for sleep....

*edit* Damn... my 800px wide images are too big for the forum layout. Eh, I'll deal with it later.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    That looks awesome, Petra. Looking forward to the tasty, tasty DATA! I'm also very jealous.
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited April 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    That looks awesome, Petra. Looking forward to the tasty, tasty DATA! I'm also very jealous.

Couldn't have said it better! ;D