Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe-based system problem

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Hardware
I have an AMD X2 6400 system using the motherboard in the title that is no longer booting. When I power up, the fans come on and the motherboard lights up for about 3 seconds and then everything turns off. If I turn the power bar off and back on again, the system repeats this pattern without me ever touching the PC power switch. It does give a single beep but it is too long for a POST beep, lasts about 3 seconds which may indicate parity error. I cannot enter the BIOS and get no image on the monitor. There have been no changes in hardware. I am suspecting motherboard or cpu but am looking for ideas. Here is what I have tried with absolutely no change in the problem:

- cleared CMOS
- replaced RAM
- replaced power supply
- replaced video card
- disconnected all peripherals
- pulled motherboard from case with only cpu, hsf, ram, power supply and video card connected

No matter what, it shuts itself off in about 3 seconds and never shows any image on the monitor. BTW, monitor is okay.

What say you?: Dead motherboard? Dead CPU? Something else?

Forgot to add: I do not have a compatible motherboard to test the CPU.

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Not that it matters, but the motherboard failed. Bought another mobo and the cpu is happy.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    adarryl wrote:
    Not that it matters, but the motherboard failed. Bought another mobo and the cpu is happy.

Thats is exactly what I did, with that same board I shorted out about a year ago. If its worth it to you, you can probably still RMA it and resell it on ebay, and make a ~$30-35 recovery.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the thought, but my board is out of warranty.