Help! HDMI Video Capture from PS3, Xbox 360 needed!

BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
edited October 2010 in Hardware
Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to take high-def screenshots and possibly video from my PS3 and Xbox 360 in order to use them for writing reviews here on Icrontic. Videos are a bonus, but still images are a must. I'm expecting that a PCI-e capture card is my best bet. However, I'm having a hard time finding a good solution, so I need your help since this isn't just for me, but to better Icrontic in general with my articles.

I would prefer to use a HDMI capture card. There's some out there. I would also be willing to get one that instead accepts component video, but HDMI would be better suited for my setup. I would use a powered/amplified HDMI splitter (found a good one on Amazon.com) to send one feed to my gaming monitor, the other to the HDMI capture card. That way I'll play the game like normal, but will also have the ability to take screen captures on my desktop that sits next to my consoles.

One concern I have is the HDCP handshake that is involved with HDMI, but I keep hearing that it only limits DVD/Blu-ray video playback and not gaming itself - which is no issue to me, I only want to capture game. But I need this confirmed that game footage isn't limited by any lack of HDCP-compliance that a capture card may have.

Pretend that money is no object, though I will prefer ones that have a good bang-for-buck value. If we can determine that gaming from the PS3 and 360 doesn't require the HDCP handshake to transmit audio/video, then I don't need a more expensive card that supports HDCP.

So in short, I need help with the following:

1. Does gaming (not DVD/Blu-ray movies, just games) on a PS3 and 360 require a HDCP compliant device to use HDMI?

2. Help me find a HDMI capture card that does still images for sure, and videos too if possible, at an acceptable price point

3. If the above is not possible, point me to a component-video card that can do stills and video

The hunt is on. Thanks in advance to anyone who can find and post links to decent cards and the answer to the HDCP question here. Post as many viable options that you can find.

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    To kick things off, I did a little initial hunting. Found a pro solution that may be what I'm looking for. It's called the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. It's sister solution is a USB 3.0 portable device. Both are going for $200, which is a little higher than I'm initially willing to pay, but if it means headache-free capture and nothing cheaper is worth it, I'm willing to pay it.

Your thoughts on this particular card? Think you can find something cheaper to do a similar job?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Try this. I have a coworker that swears by them for HD recording. No HDMI, but it has component in so you can capture at 1080i or 720p.
    edited April 2010
    Another update: I found reading this forum thread to be useful and a bit insightful. I still don't have a clear picture of what I really need, or which card I should go for. But it helps.

Also, Nick good find. I'll keep that as a definite maybe. I'd still rather find an HDMI option so I can streamline it with my current HDMI setup. However, the only HDMI card I've found so far, the BlackMagic one, seems to be fairly buggy and hit-or-miss whether it'll work on your PC or not (for example, it's reported to not work on rigs with a Pentium i7 processor, among other processors or motherboards).
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    Another update: I found reading this forum thread to be useful and a bit insightful. I still don't have a clear picture of what I really need, or which card I should go for. But it helps.

Also, Nick good find. I'll keep that as a definite maybe. I'd still rather find an HDMI option so I can streamline it with my current HDMI setup. However, the only HDMI card I've found so far, the BlackMagic one, seems to be fairly buggy and hit-or-miss whether it'll work on your PC or not (for example, it's reported to not work on rigs with a Pentium i7 processor, among other processors or motherboards).

I'm afraid the answer isn't what you want to hear. You won't find a working HDMI capture with HDCP. The reason is piracy. It would be any pirates dream.
    You would need to separate the sound and video to get rid of HDCP and then glue them back together, but this would most probably include an analogue conversion.
    edited April 2010
    I'm afraid the answer isn't what you want to hear. You won't find a working HDMI capture with HDCP. The reason is piracy. It would be any pirates dream.
    You would need to separate the sound and video to get rid of HDCP and then glue them back together, but this would most probably include an analogue conversion.

Yes, a very good point about HDCP. ...but that's only if they use HDCP for gameplay. That's why I need to know if gameplay is HDCP-crippled or not. I don't care about movie playback, just gaming.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Well, to be fair, you also don't give two craps about the audio if all you're doing is screenshots. If anybody knows of a way to pull HDMI video easily, ignoring the audio, that's also a reasonable solution for Bandrik here.
    edited April 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Well, to be fair, you also don't give two craps about the audio if all you're doing is screenshots. If anybody knows of a way to pull HDMI video easily, ignoring the audio, that's also a reasonable solution for Bandrik here.

Yep! You're absolutely right. :bigggrin:

While audio/video capture would be nice, it is NOT my goal. All I want is a way to get high-definition screenshots, preferable using HDMI for convenience.
  • edited October 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    Yep! You're absolutely right. :bigggrin:

While audio/video capture would be nice, it is NOT my goal. All I want is a way to get high-definition screenshots, preferable using HDMI for convenience.

I found this thread looking to see if anyone has found a solution to the problem of capturing HD gameplay. I can 100% verify that HDCP is used for gameplay on the PS3 and XBox 360. My old roommate bought the Black Magic Intensity Pro. He cannot capture using HDMI due to HDCP. The best you can do is capture it using the Component connections with either system, unfortunately. I was disappointed to find this out as I wanted full HD capture as well :(

Hope this helps in your decision, and it will quite possibly save you some money
    edited October 2010
    He cannot capture using HDMI due to HDCP. The best you can do is capture it using the Component connections with either system, unfortunately. I was disappointed to find this out as I wanted full HD capture as well

Hey, thanks for stopping by, and for your input. I haven't found anything to suit my needs regarding HDMI yet, so your tips may prove to be rather helpful.

Maybe you're right... maybe I should just settle on a component video solution. Man, that would suck though. I would have to re-wire the way I have everything set up whenever I want to take a screenshot of something.

Hopefully something will come out in the future sometime that meets my/our needs. And won't cost $500+. =P
  • edited October 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    Hey, thanks for stopping by, and for your input. I haven't found anything to suit my needs regarding HDMI yet, so your tips may prove to be rather helpful.

Maybe you're right... maybe I should just settle on a component video solution. Man, that would suck though. I would have to re-wire the way I have everything set up whenever I want to take a screenshot of something.

Hopefully something will come out in the future sometime that meets my/our needs. And won't cost $500+. =P

If you can get the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle and hook it up using the HDMI throughput you could use this cable to get it all hooked up http://amzn.to/aipuCk So from your 360/PS3 to the splitter, then one HDMI cable to your TV so you can still play, then this cable: http://amzn.to/bsSDwx to the Black Magic box for capture.
    [html]

So it would go

|
    HDMI Splitter
    |
    |
    |
    HDMI HDMI to Component Cable
    | |
    TV Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Component In
    [/html]
    Voila! That should work perfectly
  • Paladin677Paladin677 Moriarty, NM Member
    edited October 2010
    With HDCP a few weeks ago being cracked, I imagine eventually HDMI recording will become possible.
    edited October 2010
    If you can get the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle and hook it up using the HDMI throughput you could use this cable to get it all hooked up http://amzn.to/aipuCk So from your 360/PS3 to the splitter, then one HDMI cable to your TV so you can still play, then this cable: http://amzn.to/bsSDwx to the Black Magic box for capture.
    [html]

So it would go

|
    HDMI Splitter
    |
    |
    |
    HDMI HDMI to Component Cable
    | |
    TV Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Component In
    [/html]Voila! That should work perfectly

That... would actually be a quite a viable solution. I honestly did not know that there were HDMI (digital) to Component (analog) cables out there. In hindsight, sure it makes sense, but I figured before that it took some fancy expensive box.

In fact... wait... looking at the reviews for that cable you linked me to, it looks like a lot of people are having trouble with that cable. Some are even pointing out what I was wondering: that the cable does a poor job of converting the signal, or doesn't convert it at all.

Or, is the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle Component-In specifically set up to be able to accept signal that goes from HDMI to component? One reviewer pointed out that only devices that are "specifically made to accept an analog signal routed through an HDMI port. These devices are extremely rare, and if you have one, your user's manual will clearly state as much."