Need suggestions on budget gaming card

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Hardware
I am trying to help someone configure a new computer to give to their grandson for his 8th grade graduation. Specifically, I need some ideas on a budget video card ~$60.00 that would enable basic gaming as in shooters and rpg's. No need to run Crysis at 120 fps but something that would run COD et al. at a playable frame rate. Ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    At $60 you are extremely limited.

You really need to consider upping the budget a little.

A Radeon 4670 will "get you there" for about $70, but honestly, I would consider something along the lines of a 5750 as being the entry way into a decent gaming card, and that will be more around $140.

Much of it obviously depends on monitor resolution and how high high his graphical expectations are, but if its a gaming PC that you want to have a good experience on for at least the next couple years, I highly recommend spending more to get a Radeon 5750.
  • edited April 2010
    In that price range (~$60), I recommend either a 9600GT or GT240 (GDDR5) or HD4670 in the order of performance. I linked to some deals at Newegg for you but all of them seem to stretch your budget a little.

If you want to see the benchmarks of these GPUs with COD4, here is a review.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Agreed, but his primary purpose apparently isn't gaming. His grandparents want to go with on-board video and I know that won't game much. However, it isn't my PC or my money. He wants to email and web surf maybe with some gaming as a lark. I would at least like to steer them toward a "starter" video card, maybe a 4650 or higher such as you mentioned.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Mirage, thanks. I will pass that along to them as well as Cliff's thoughts.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    How about a Radeon 9200 SE AGP? I just put one on eBay with a starting price of $1.00.

I played WoW on it on low video settings.

Budget? BUDGET!!!
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited April 2010
    LoL... that's some very low budget video card advice Tim ;)
    edited April 2010
    Sorry, but I should have said so in the beginning, this is a PCIe x16 setup. Besides that, the issue has been resolved.