Really (REALLY) non-tecky with question

edited April 2010 in Hardware
I am using a wireless router for internet access at a small office. I understand that websites can see the (ISP?) number from this router and block access to the site. At least it must be the router as it is not just my computer that is blocked but all computers at my office. I can access this site from my home computer, so it is not my account that is blocked. So I am not 100% sure why access was blocked. My question is - is there a way around the block?

Thanks

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    You're right in that all of your computers in the office share a single IP (Not ISP address - IP address), so let's just say for example that your router is 72.126.19.32. Every computer in your office will say they are from 72.126.19.32 on the internet.

If a site has blocked you, it may be because one of the computers on your network is infected and has been spamming, or there is other nefarious activity on your network.

Honestly, you'll need a qualified IT person to help you through this. One thing you can do is email the administrator of the site in question and find out if you've been blocked, and why, or call your ISP (internet company) and find out if they've blocked the site for some reason.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks PS

Though I am sort of wanting to do it without letting the site know, the administrator of the site and I don't see things the same. So if the number is specific to that router, could it be as simple as going to the wireless company and getting a different router?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    No, the number is assigned by the company that gives you Internet service. It can sometimes change automatically, but it won't get changed for you if you call your service provider.
  • edited April 2010
    I was concerned that might be the answer, that is why I came to the experts, so how do I get the router to "automatically" change, or get around it completely.
    Nefarious and creative ideas are welcomed and encouraged.
    I have time and money, I just need the know how.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2010
    bill061360 wrote:
    I was concerned that might be the answer, that is why I came to the experts, so how do I get the router to "automatically" change, or get around it completely.
    Nefarious and creative ideas are welcomed and encouraged.
    I have time and money, I just need the know how.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the way I see it is this. The site administrator blocked your IP - they don't want you on the site. Stop being a dink and trying to work your way around it.

This isn't a case of you accidentally being blocked. Your IP was banned period end of story. If the admin was smart he will have blocked an IP range to which would cover many possible ip changes if your company doesn't have a static IP. If your company has a static IP it's not changing. They own it.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but the way I see it is this. The site administrator blocked your IP - they don't want you on the site. Stop being a dink and trying to work your way around it.

This isn't a case of you accidentally being blocked. Your IP was banned period end of story. If the admin was smart he will have blocked an IP range to which would cover many possible ip changes if your company doesn't have a static IP. If your company has a static IP it's not changing. They own it.

For about $40 a month you might be able to just plug in your own mobile broadband.

Other than that, I'm not sure how your going to do it on their network without being noticed (assuming your IT people are any good)

I know our workplace has not blocked the traffic for it, but they highly discourage streaming radio sites. Many people like them, and when you get enough people doing it, its a drain on the network, so they ask that we don't do that. Its not because they have an issue with us listening to music at work, its just the network drain, so I know one guy that valued it so much that he brings in his personal net-book and plugs in his wireless broadband adapter so he can get it off the network.

I'm sorry, but if you don't mind us asking, whats the real problem here? What are they blocking?
  • edited April 2010
    It is not my office that is blocking it, it appears to be the website blocking me entering. It is a forum that doesn't like disenting views. As i wrote earlier, it is a site much like this where you register to post. It would be like this site blocking me from entering from my office computer, but not deleting my account as I can enter from my home computer still.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    bill061360 wrote:
    It is not my office that is blocking it, it appears to be the website blocking me entering. It is a forum that doesn't like disenting views. As i wrote earlier, it is a site much like this where you register to post. It would be like this site blocking me from entering from my office computer, but not deleting my account as I can enter from my home computer still.

My advice to you. Build some credibility at your favorite forums before trolling. Thats what I do ;D

Or, you could just generate a random IP.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Really, if you've been banned from a site, there's a reason for it, and it's the site owner's prerogative to do so. They pay for the hosting, they can allow/disallow whomever they want.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2010
    bill061360 wrote:

Clearly the admin of that site hasn't done his due diligence then if he wants to keep you out. What's the site, he could use some advice.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    The administrator of the website has banned your work address for a reason. Whatever reason that is is immaterial to us, as we will not help you circumvent another site owner's decision to pull that trigger. It's rude of you to try, and entirely inappropriate for us to help.

Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.