Which processor to keep and which to sell

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Hardware
I have an AMD Opteron 180 and an AMD X2 6400 and have decided to sell one. Which would you keep and why?

Details:

Both are dual cores.
The Opty is rated at 2.4 Ghz while the X2 6400 is rated at 3.2 Ghz.
Both have an L1 cache of 128kb + 128kb.
Both have an L2 cache of 2 X 1 MB.
The Opty is socket 939 while the X2 6400 is socket AM2.

Right now, neither is getting much use but I would like sell one off, preferably the lesser of the two. I don't think the Ghz rating tells the whole story. Thoughts?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I'd keep the 6400. Significantly higher clockspeed, newer architecture, newer socket.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    I'd keep the 6400. Significantly higher clockspeed, newer architecture, newer socket.

I second that. The only reason to keep the 180 would be because you have an old 939 board that you really want to use.

Frankly, for that reason, I bet the 180 despite being the less attractive CPU performance wise, will actually draw a little more money from a potential buyer not ready to give up his old 939. AM2 stuff is too common on the current market, you probably would not get anything for the 6400 despite it being a better CPU.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations. Both processors are very snappy performers IMHO, but you're right about the specs. I've been quite partial to the Opty and right now it is the basis of an HTPC. I too figured it might be worth more depending on who's interested.