HELP!!!

edited April 2010 in Hardware
Jan 1 my boss bought a new HP dc7900 for his office. Finally hooked it up today and it plays some music so I know its up but the monitor (also an hp but about 8 months old) says it is asleep, the keyboard isn't getting power (No lights) and the mouse, while it is lit up, doesn't wake the machine. Can't return the machine at this late date and from what I read it is a really good machine but I gotta get it up. PLEASE HELP ME!!!:respect:

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    dufus wrote:
    Jan 1 my boss bought a new HP dc7900 for his office. Finally hooked it up today and it plays some music so I know its up but the monitor (also an hp but about 8 months old) says it is asleep, the keyboard isn't getting power (No lights) and the mouse, while it is lit up, doesn't wake the machine. Can't return the machine at this late date and from what I read it is a really good machine but I gotta get it up. PLEASE HELP ME!!!:respect:

Are you running the mouse and keyboard through some sort of external USB hub? I assume its all USB and not PS/2?
  • edited April 2010
    No, they are PS/2.
    edited April 2010
    dufus wrote:
    No, they are PS/2.

Yeah, wake on PS/2 is normaly the default in the bios of just about any machine.

Are you sure the mouse and keyboard are not getting any power?

Does the monitor display when it posts?
  • edited April 2010
    The keyboard isn't....at least there are no lights whatsoever. I changed keyboards without luck too. The mouse is lit up but I can't see if it is actually working because I have no monitor. The monitor shows the white Going to Sleep window and then goes black. If I push the menu on the monitor, it shows me the VGA color settings. I push menu again and it goes away. So, to answer your question, no the monitor doesn't display during post. Thank you.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Narrow down the problem. Hook the problematic monitor to a known working computer to see if you get signal. If you don't get picture, tell your boss to buy a new monitor. If you do then you may be looking at a video card issue on the new computer and you will want to contact HP if it is still under warranty or a local tech to troubleshoot it if it is not.

-Bobby
  • edited April 2010
    The monitor works on the original computer w/o problems.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Hook another monitor up to the problematic box to further prove it is having video issues (possibly along side PS2 issues).

Either way you are looking at needing to troubleshoot the video, or at least crack the case (Don't do that if you are still under warranty, if you are, Use it to troubleshoot).

If it is a hardware problem that needs to be troubleshot then you are in the right place, but I don't know the next step here. If Cliff or someone else can step up with some suggestions I am sure they will. From your side, you can help by providing as much information about the system as possible. If it has a service tag of some sort, use it to look up the hardware specs and post them here.

-Bobby
    edited April 2010
    Might you have multiple display adapters? Look in the back and see if you have two VGA ports, one mounted in a vertical orientation, and another horizontal. You might be plugged into the mainboard graphics, when its set to support an add on card in its place.
  • edited April 2010
    Might you have multiple display adapters? Look in the back and see if you have two VGA ports, one mounted in a vertical orientation, and another horizontal. You might be plugged into the mainboard graphics, when its set to support an add on card in its place.

OK. You've answered one question already. There is what appears to be a vertical white parallel port and an adapter that splits into two blue VGA ports. I am plugged into the solitary horizontal port. I knew it would accomodate two monitors but didn't know what that white was for. There is also a pink port not in use....also vertical. I
    edited April 2010
    dufus wrote:
    OK. You've answered one question already. There is what appears to be a vertical white parallel port and an adapter that splits into two blue VGA ports. I am plugged into the solitary horizontal port. I knew it would accomodate two monitors but didn't know what that white was for. There is also a pink port not in use....also vertical. I

There ya go. Many adapters have two heads for multi monitor support. In some cases, one is assigned as the primary so you have to be plugged into that one to output video to a single monitor.
  • edited April 2010
    I can't thank you enough. Problem solved!! THANK YOU!