Testing USB ports

almac01almac01 Victoria, Australia
edited April 2010 in Hardware
Hi,
I re-installed XP Pro on my desktop machine.
The USB ports were working well but now some devices won't load.
The mobo is a Gigabyte 845G.
I have some HDDs connected which are working (USB) but I also have an Edimax USB wireless device which was working but now stops after a while.
It runs on my other machine.
Today I connected my MP3 (Creative Zen Vision M 30GB) but it came up as unrecognised.
Is there any fix or test I can run to overcome this?
The drivers seem to be the latest as many were updated after installation.

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Not sure I can help here but I will throw out a couple of thoughts. First, did you get your driver updates "after installation" from Windows Update or Gigabyte itself? I make it a practice to NEVER get hardware updates from Windows Update but directly from the hardware manufacturer. If your hardware updates came from Microsoft, I would suggest you go to Gigabyte directly and download/install theirs. Gigabyte's site is slow, I know, but I would start there. Secondly, and I don't mean to endorse a website necessarily but this one has a free service tier. You might register at http://drivermax.com and run their driver update scan to see what it shows. Just don't go wild with updates you may find. Just consider what it shows.