my computer won't boot

edited April 2010 in Hardware
It says there is no IDE device. I now have a screen that keeps going in loops that says exiting PXE rom. One site said that means I need a new mother board. Does this mean all my data and personal files are lost?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    We need more information to help.

Tell us what type of PC this is and if you have changed anything recently. New hardware/Software/etc.
  • OptixOptix New Brunswick, Canada
    edited April 2010
    I'm with Ryder on this but basic troubleshooting would be to check your connections or maybe swap a cable to see if that is the problem.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Try this:

Go into your BIOS setup and change the disk controller setting from "AHCI to IDE" or change the "SATA enable/disable" option to disable OR disable "native SATA mode." How this is worded is dependent on your specific notebook model. If you are not sure how to get into your BIOS, tell us the make/model of your notebook and someone should be able to guide you through it.
  • jpparker88jpparker88 Lancaster, CA
    edited April 2010
    and even if your motherboard was bad....all the information on the hard drive should still be there. but I'd try a new cable. IDE cables go bad from time to time. and is this a notebook or desktop?