HP dv8000t: upgrading a T2500 to U7500

edited May 2010 in Hardware
In order to decrease the noise level on my HP dv8000t, I'm thinking about upgrading what I have, a Yonah T2500 to the much lower wattage rated CPU of U7500. The only thing is that the system bus on the T2500 is 667MHz and the U7500 is 533MHz.

Would this pose a problem? Would the laptop just go with a new bus speed, increase it to 667MHz, or just not recognize the CPU? They use the same socket type, so I know I can at least install it.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    First, check if the processors are socket compatible? But socket compatibility does not guarantee that the processor will work on your laptop. Make sure there is a BIOS version that supports this processor. Check the latest BIOS releases at HP and read their release notes. I would also check if HP had sold this laptop with U7500 processor. If positive, you can definitely install the processor. Otherwise, you can google it to find if there has been any successful upgrades.

If you want to to decrease the heat output, you can also try to undervolt your current processor. I undervolt my laptop processors using RMClock. Since RMClock has not been updated since some time, it does not support the newest processors but it should support your processor. You can find many references about how to use it if you google it.