how to survive long distance biking

edited November 2010 in Fitness
We are planning to complete our first century (100 miles in a day) in July with my son (will be 15 soon). We are practicing during the week ~2 times with 20-25 mile rides with ~16mph average speed. We are able to complete these rides nonstop easily. In the weekends we usually do another 20-25 mile ride and another 30-40 mile ride. The problem is that in the longer ride, our energy depletes after 25 miles especially and my son feels this more. We need to stop and get some carbohydrates. There is a gas station near the 25-mile mark where we buy an icecream bar and it works pretty well :) But my son needs more frequent breaks for energizing. I was wondering if you have any recommendation for a quick, light, and healthy energy bar or a drink for us that we can carry in our tiny saddle bags or bottle holders.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2010
    From my friends that do 24hr bike races, they follow a similar guide to marathon runners. Load up on a big plate of carbs ahead of time, the typical boat load of spaghetti but more noodles then sauce and meat works well. Then they focus on keeping their electrolytes up during the race with this drink who's name I've forgotten. But they are buying it from some online health store (not your typical corner store varieties which don't work).

Then they also keep up their energy with whatever high carb/protein/potassium health bars they like. Speaking of Potassium in particular, don't forget the potassium it's very important in helping to reduce the fatiguing effects of lactic acid.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks. This is the first time my son understands the value of a good breakfast :)

I will check the high-carb/potassium bars in the supermarket. If we get Gatorade with us instead of water, it has potassium too but not enough carbs.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    What usually isn't an issue with sorter 45min to 90min rides, he may be experiencing electrolyte deficiency on the longer rides. There are some calculations you will want to do to estimate how much liquid and electrolytes you will want to take in per hour on your century.

There are also carb/energy gels that are a great thing to bring on longer rides.
  • edited May 2010
    I think replacing our water with Gatorade should address the electrolyte deficiency in the long ride. I will check those gels too. Thanks.
    edited May 2010
    Gatorade doesn't work. Seriously go to a health/nutrition store and see what they have. Gatorade has more sugar content in it then anything and not enough carbs or electrolytes to really replenish anything long term.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    My marathon-loving friends are really into "blocks" these days. I know that Clif makes them, but I'm sure there are other manufacturers as well.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Clif bars come out looking the same as they do going in. I've always been puzzled as to how they provide nutrition.
  • edited May 2010
    I am looking for a bar that has simple ingredients and simple taste. Chocolate and nuts are too tasty and leave residue in my mouth. I always brush my teeth before riding to be comfortable in the long ride. Because it is annoying to have food residue in the dry mouth while breathing fast. I think we only need some quick carbs in the form of quick dissolving sugars in the mouth and maybe a little support of electrolytes that will come with the liquids. I am looking at those Cliff bars and think that hey are too sophisticated for my purpose.

How about Rice Krispies ;D Seriously, they have quick carbs and a very simple texture and taste.
    edited May 2010
    They don't have enough carbs or sugar in them to do anything more then pep you up for a few minutes. If you want something a little longer lasting get some granola bars they are more dense and more filling.
  • edited May 2010
    I doubt it is highly accurate but my bike computer tells me that I am burning ~1200 calories in 28 miles. This is significantly lower for my son due to his age and weight. I have about 10 pounds more than my ideal weight and I don't know how much blood sugar I have in the beginning. My son is at his ideal weight but his blood sugar capacity should be lower than mine. I want to loose those 10 pounds before July trial. He should be gaining some weight mainly from muscle. So, I will try not to take any additional carbs unless I feel the need. But taking about 300-400 calories after 20 miles for my son would be ideal I guess. We will both take the electrolytes and hydration from the liquid. What do you think, am I confusing up too many things?
    edited May 2010
    It depends on what your goal is. If your goal is to lose weight then ride as far and as often as you can and take in as little nourishment as you can while doing it. Basically turn your body into a furnace and burn off your built up carbs and fat. But you still need to keep up your general caloric intake to between 1500 and 2000 a day depending on your size and level of activity. Also make sure you are taking in regular intervals of water as needed you don't want to get dehydrated.

If your goal is to be able to bike 100 miles in a day. Then give your body whatever it wants. The last thing you want to do is starve your body of energy that it needs to keep going to complete the 100 miles. Then once you can do 100 miles, cut back on your carb intake for the next time.

That holds true for whatever your target was if it's 10 miles, 30 miles, or 100 miles. Just make sure you can do it once first without punishing yourself. Then working on cutting back on your carbs and on doing it faster.

For an average build person in shape enough to be able to bike straight for 28 miles at 16mph I'd say 1200 seems a little high. I'd expect it to be more in the 700-900 range. But it's hard to say, there are lots of variables to consider.
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited May 2010
    Mirage, I would say that for those long rides you definitely need some good fuel. People will swear up and down this or that works for them. You will need to try things out and find out what works best for you. I generally ride 200+ miles per week in the summer and have done 150+ miles in day several times.

My first rule is to take things with you that you will eat. If it tastes bad, you won't eat it. I use Clif products mainly due to the fact they are of good quality and use mainly organic ingredients. If you're on the road and need to stop, go for the Gatorade. It is better than nothing.

On any thing longer than 1 hour, you should be drinking at least 1 liter per hour of fluids and eating some food every 15 minutes. I use the following in my daily rides:

Clif bars, Fig Newtons, figs, dried apricots, prunes, bananas, turkey sandwhich (dry)

If I make a sandwich, and especially with Clif bars, I cut them up ahead of time so that I can quickly get the right amount. The more you ride and eat, the more your stomach will get used to eating while riding and the more foods you can eat. It also helps if you aren't going all out.

What helps me greatly is a heart rate monitor. If you can afford one, I suggest it. Your target zones will need to be calculated once you get it, but generally you would want to stay below 140bpm and above 120bpm. This is a good target range. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, to burn fat you should be able to speak in full sentences the whole ride. If you put out more effort and can speak in short sentences or not at all, you're not burning fat.

I hope this information helps. If I confused you, please let me know and I will try to make myself more clear.
  • edited May 2010
    Reelbigfish, thanks for the recommendations. I will try your suggestions. We bought some Clif bars, also powerade to take with us. My son probably will not complain about the chocolate and nut taste. I am the picky baby :) Unfortunately, weather and and work did not allow us ride in the last two weeks. Hopefully, we will be riding in the coming week again. I am sure we will be able to ride longer with the nutrition and hydration support.
    Thanks again
  • khankhan New
    edited June 2010
    The trick with any ride over 40 miles is "eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty." You definitely need to be eating on the ride - if you don't want chocolate, pitted dates will work fine, sliced fruit, etc. - but I really like Clif Bars just for the simplicity. If you're wearing bike jerseys, they fit nicely in the little pockets on the back. One source I saw said 30-60 grams of carbs/hour depending on your weight. I also like Gu packets. Kind of tasteless, but work pretty well at keeping me from bonking.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I dont know how much reading you have done on the advantages of efficient peddling but it is definitely worth a Google if you are doing long rides as well.
  • edited June 2010
    Lots of tasteless things are good, I find, Khan.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    mirage wrote:
    How about Rice Krispies ;D Seriously, they have quick carbs and a very simple texture and taste.

Most bars are based on pureed dried dates, just get your own in bulk and add in whatever you like :)
  • edited November 2010
    I missed your post, TT. Thanks for the suggestion. I have closed the riding season :( recently after ~1000 miles total this summer. By the end of this season, our long rides became much easier with our improving physical condition/capacity. But, unfortunately, I could not have the chance to complete the century. I can't wait for the next spring. In the mean time, I will try to keep my physical condition but I don't like going to gym or using a trainer. I could try the mountain bike in the wintery roads or start running.