Big, beautiful, brawny: HTC Desire review

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    That's a fantastic bit of kit going on there. Can't wait to see what this year brings for phones. To think that the Nexus One was only the beginning.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    You're not the only one with the "extra capacitive" problem Snark. I get the same thing with me Nexus one. Heck, sometimes the heel of my rather large hand would confuse the screen even when operating it 2-handed.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    It's fun being a little more electric than everybody else, isn't it? :)

I. Love. This. Phone. I love it even more with root. I've flashed more ROMs in the past three days than I have since my WinMo days a few years back. Love love love.
    edited May 2010
    I feel the same way about my Nexus One. Especially since I got one of those rubbery cases for it. The slight extra thickness goes a long way toward keeping the palm of my hand away from the screen.

Haven't rooted mine yet though. Probably should. I did enjoy CyanogenMod on my G1.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Been thinking of getting one,just waiting on views on reliability.
    I was playing with it at carphone warehouse today,it looks good in the flesh.
    edited May 2010
    It's plenty reliable, Vicar. Build quality is top notch. Dropped mine hard today, too - no visible damage. I was almost sad for a minute.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the info, always a bit wary in being early bird, tend to wait for any glitches to be ironed out. i should be paying a visit to carphone over the weekend.
    edited May 2010
    Feh... the Desire is basically the same hardware as the Nexus One which has been out for quite a while and has proven to be pretty damn solid. I wouldn't be wary about that hardware at all.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Thanks will 48hrs to go and buy one.
  • Al
    edited May 2010
    Coming from a Blackberry Curve 8900, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I made the mistake of getting a Desire on Orange UK, who have loaded the phone with all sorts of Orange bloatware which can't be removed without reflashing the phone. The output volume from the headphone jack is very low and I have to turn my amp right up to get a decent volume. The volume keys can't double as forward/back skip like they can on the Blackberry, and unlike the Blackberry, the microphone is rendered useless when I plug in my own (I can't wear earbuds) Sennheiser in-ear phones.

Streaming Media Player stops dead as soon as I press the lock key or the Home button to do something else, and the keyboard isn't a patch on the BB's hardware keyboard. Emails take 20x longer to write than they did on my old phone. This desire is going back, and unless I find a smartphone with a touchscreen and a hardware keyboard, I'm going back to Blackberry...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Try the Motorola Milestone.
    edited May 2010
    The Orange ROM is pretty disappointing, it's true. Sorry for your experience. For me, the inline controls are perfectly satisfactory for media control, and generally speaking, when I'm streaming media, I'm watching it, but everybody's got different use patterns.

Hope you find a phone that suits you!
    edited May 2010
    Plus, the streaming media complaint isn't really a problem with the phone, it's a problem with the app you're using. I used to have the same issue with the NPR application. Then I switched to using the Google Podcast app to get my NPR fix which worked much better. Perhaps you should try out some of the other streaming apps on the market?