I don't tolerate that shit.

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Fitness
It's true. I'm lactose intolerant. Milk, soft cheeses, cottage cheese, etc. They all give me... well... to quote Cake, "bowel shaking earthquakes." I see all these guides for eating right and getting fit, but they all recommend drinking a gallon of milk and eating a tub of cottage cheese to get protein and calcium and all that. I'd think most of the proposed shakes are out of the question too.

So what's a guy to do? Just hope my metabolism jacks up to 11 and I can consume everything without remorse.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    You can buy protein that should not see any repercussions from Lactose intolerance.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Have you tried any of these products with a lactose enzyme additive? You might also try mixing dairy with unflavored probiotic yogurt, which can also aid in lactose digestion.

Otherwise, EAS 100% whey protein doesn't affect lactose intolerance, and you'll be drinking one fuck of a lot of it with water.

You might also try ramping your dairy intake up over the course of 2-3 weeks by increasing your intake by 4-8oz a day. Most people aren't truly lactose intolerant, and can stimulate the production of lactose enzymes through trial by fire.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I haven't tried other products.

As an infant, I didn't handle lactose well but I eventually grew out of it. It wasn't until freshman year in HS that I started having problems again. I went from drinking a gallon of milk every two days to the point where one small juice glass of milk would cause me problems. Currently, the max I can have without being "uncomfortable" is a single small sundae scoop of ice cream.

Sounds like I've got some options to look into.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    For what its worth, I drink all my protein shakes with water, they are not as smooth as with milk, but they taste fine.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    The only advantage to milk is that it's calorically dense. Getting up to the requisite 3000-3400 calories without 600 calories a day in protein+carbs from milk is quite difficult, and way more expensive than it otherwise could be.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    In my house right now I have protein powder from rice, eggs, soy, and vegetable (tastes like grass though)

You're good, just check out Amazon
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited May 2010
    Have you tried getting a different milk? I used to get 1% generic milk, but then I started buying Hood Low-fat milk. The difference was the fat and the fact that Hood screens their producers for growth hormones and antibiotics. It really did help me. If I drink milk with more fat now or milk from cows pumped full of antibiotics or growth hormones, I get the same reaction as you. Also, try increasing fiber intake such as Metamucil or Benefiber. It has done wonders for my heartburn and bowl issues.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I quit dairy years ago for the same reasons and ever since I only drink silk. That's all we keep in the house. Gallons of it.
    I went from about 145lbs to 215. My son is 7 and he wieghs 62lbs. Very high in calories if you don't get light.