Looking for gaming notebook recommendations for ~ $1000

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Hardware
Wifey and I are wanting to buy a desktop replacement/gaming notebook for around $1000. I know that is not a great budget to work with, but that is the limit we have set. I would prefer an AMD based system though not head-strong against Intel, 4 gig ram, dedicated video (ATI or nVidia doesn't matter but as much power as we can get), 17" display and Win 7. Reliability will be important as this will travel with us on vacation.

Game titles we prefer: Bioshock 2, COD Modern Warfare, Wolfenstein etc.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I just bought this laptop and I love it so far. It has been able to play any game that I throw at it with no problems. I would definitely recommend it.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for your recommendation Joe. That does look promising.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited May 2010
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm a little slow to the punch, but if you're still in the market for a lappy, I'm pretty impressed with what ASUS has to offer for the money. I'm getting a modified version of the second one I'm posting (got on XoticPC.com - more expensive, but adds Blu-ray and a higher resolution screen).

$900 ASUS G60JX-RBBX05

$1200 ASUS G73JH-RBBX05

Just take a look at them for their specs. The $900 is good but while its cooling solution is adequate, the $1200 G73 is one of the (if not THE) best cooling solutions for a gaming laptop. Worth a look.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    $1200 ASUS G73JH-RBBX05

This one is tempting enough that I need to go see it. Nearest Best Buy is 50 miles away. :/
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    That's quite a drive, but I highly recommend seeing it in person before buying. It has great specs but it's a little different in the body style, and the lid/screen doesn't open as far as other laptops. Also make sure to call ahead to see if they have a display model to look at, and that they're in stock if you prefer to buy in person.

Other things to note: unless something has recently trumped it, it has the best graphics card you can get in it's price range as well as a nice intel I-series processor. And again, the dual-fan cooling is marvelous. Just have realistic expectations of the battery - it will only last an hour or so without constant juice from a wall.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Lots of RAM and GPU. Everything else is secondary to keep costs down. Dual core or quad core cpu.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I've heard really good things about the Alienware M11x as far as gaming laptops go, and believe me I do NOT recommend a Dell product lightly. I'm normally quite loyal to Lenovo and Asus when it comes to laptops/netbooks these days.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    The M11x is VERY tempting to me currently, especially with the i5 and i7 processors they have for it now.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    For sure, I just speced one out. Came to $999. If I hadn't just bought that stupid MSI laptop last year I'd be seriously tempted to buy it.