Windows Aero flaw in 64-bit Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    For Corp. IT folks, this is a worry. Hopefully Microsoft comes out with a patch in time for the June cycle.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    If you're running their Server offerings, you shouldn't be running Aero anyway (why bother?), and what companies are running Win7 x64 machines for their employees already? I wanna work there. :(
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    We have one and should end up with a couple more by the end of the month. Our servers are still 2003.
    edited May 2010
    We JUST approved limited rollout of Win7. There are almost 50 systems in our production domain. As for the Server 2008 R2 and Aero Glass. We have a few custom systems that run Server 2008 due to software requirements and are used by users daily. They run Aero.
  • sgoldmansgoldman Baltimore
    edited May 2010
    QCH wrote:
    We JUST approved limited rollout of Win7. There are almost 50 systems in our production domain. As for the Server 2008 R2 and Aero Glass. We have a few custom systems that run Server 2008 due to software requirements and are used by users daily. They run Aero.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I have a little over 50 systems in our domain as well. We have not gone to Windows 7 expressly for reasons such as this. You never know what may crop up in a new OS. Windows 7 is a great operating system, arguably one of the best they've come out with. To say it's an improvement over Vista is the understatement of the year. But it pays to wait. ;)

We are currently testing 2008 to be deployed shortly in our environment but that's just for the new Group Policy Preferences, no worries about Aero there.
    edited May 2010
    We held off Vista because it sucks but we have a 5 year licensing agreement. We cannot wait specially with all the advantages Windows 7 offers for security and easy of deployment. This kind of problem/vulnerability is still being found in WinXP. WinXP will be coming to "End-of-life" before we know it.
  • edited May 2010
    WinXP SP3 is still going to be supported by Microsoft (Extended Support phase) until 8th April 2014.

It gives us just under 4 years to port all our applications to Red Hat Linux. (We're already 84% there!)
  • sgoldmansgoldman Baltimore
    edited May 2010
    @GCH: If you have a license agreement that's moving you in that direction, I can certainly understand. As for XP's EOL, I'm not worried about that coming before we move everything over to Windows 7. We just won't be on that list of early adopters. ;)
    edited May 2010
    This place has always followed the "Wait until SP1 before even thinking allowing it in the Domain." The cost of deployment of WinXP is what is driving us. To maintain the old WinXP image with the multiple HALs and drivers and all that... a pain.

Windows 7 allows SCCM to deploy it and the maintenance of the "image" is so much less. We should be able to reduce the time and effort of deployment thus helping our Desktop Support group and their 2-3 week backlog. We could really start wiping and reinstalling in under a 1/2 day.

Troubleshooting stupid OS or application problems can be reduced, just wipe and reload. With WinXP, we are still seeing a full day turn around since each system must be visited. Win7 deployment can be done remotely. Maximize our staff... We'll take the little bumps in road from a 1 yr old OS instead of a ton of big bumps with keeping XP around.