Google failed to change how phones are sold with the Nexus One

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm with Snark on this one. Lack of support stilled my interest in Nexus One.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I hate to nitpick (okay, no I don't) but every phone company I've dealt with so far, when I've had a phone break, has had to ship me a new phone. I really don't think that your argument about replacing a broken phone holds up when the best most carriers offer is the same thing. We ship you a new phone, you ship the broken one back.

Maybe I've just been shafted by the cell carriers I've dealt with but that's how it has been every time I've had a broken phone.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like you've been shafted. Everyone I know has just taken their phone to a local shop.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    The one time they did give me a loaner... but still, I had a loaner that I knew was going away for like a week while they shipped my new phone. That's the best I got though. To be fair, none of my phones broke beyond being usable. They could still take and make calls they just had various other things fail (softkeys, arrow keys, partial screen failure, etc)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    If a phone I buy at a store breaks during a time period when they're still selling said phone and it's under warranty, I get it replaced same-day by them. They ship it to get fixed and resold.

So yeah, if you were inside a reasonable time window, you got shafted. Obviously you're going to have to ship back a 3-year-old model, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Then again, I haven't bought a carrier-sold phone in about 9 years, so I suppose I haven't tried that method in a while.
  • edited May 2010
    It's not that people don't realize that they're paying for the phone in installments - it's that there's no incentive to skip the installments.

If I buy an unsubsidized Nexus One at $529, I pay Tmobile about $100 a month for unlimited voice, data, and text. Meanwhile, if I buy a subsidized Nexus One at $189 or $289 (depending on whether I'm already a Tmobile customer), I pay about $100 a month for unlimited voice, data, and text. So where are the big savings? One way, Tmobile is collecting $14.50 a month for two years to pay for my phone; the other way, they're collecting the same $14.50 a month from me to go into their pockets.

Now, if Google had been able to get the carriers to drop the monthly fee for people who bought their own phone, they might have made some inroads. As it stands, though, it costs more to buy the phone unsubsidized than to buy it subsidized, since you're paying the extra costs of the subsidy back to the carrier in either case.