windows xp loading screen doesn't appear but instead a blank black screen

edited May 2010 in Hardware
while playing my favorite online game, my monitor suddenly turns in standby state, i could see an orange light (it's basically green when active) coming from my monitor's power button, i tried to press my monitor's power button back off and on but still no display so i decided to restart my computer, it booted and started normally, i quickly started my favorite game but while on the loading screen of the game, my PC hangs up (this isn't usually happening to my PC), so i restarted my computer again, it rebooted and started normally...i wasn't able to start the game yet when my display messed up like a scrambled shit, the first thing came up on my mind was "looks like the vcard messed up", so i tried to reboot the computer again hoping to fix the problem but this time, it doesn't boot properly...here's the real problem...after the ASUS logo screen came up, a blank screen with nothing else came up (usually, after the ASUS logo appears, the windows XP loading screen should next to appear) i checked my monitor's power button's light but it was colored green meaning it was still active. i already checked the BIOS to see if my HDD is detected and it is. this time, i decided to turn off my PC and removed my vcard and plugged my monitor cable (from the vcard) to my mobo's on-board |something| (i don't know what its called :bigggrin:), turned on my PC but i still encounter the same problem so i guess the vcard has nothing to do with the problem?...so i suspected that my HDD caused the problem...WHY? because sometimes i got this error..."error loading operating system" and fortunately solved it (i don't know how did i exactly solved it...maybe with just a few restart? and unplug and plug?) furthermore, sometimes my BIOS doesn't detect my HDD (it takes a thousand of restarts and unplug/plug before it detects again) and got the error "INSERT CORRECT BOOT MEDIA AND PRESS A KEY" thingy. so i hope you have any ideas after hearing my shitty epic story:respect:.

BTW i already tried all of the safe modes but my computer hangs up when i tried to choose either of them. i am sometimes hearing a very annoying LOUD beep coming from my HDD (not really sure if it's the HDD)

SPECS

MOBO: ASUS P4VP MX
HDD: SEAGATE ST380011A 80GB (just bought it from a friend months ago)
RAM: 1.25GB DDR
VCARD: Nvidia GeForce 5500FX 256mb RAM (1 yr. old)
PROC: Intel pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHz
BIOS ver: 08.00.09
PSU: SUNSTAR 350W AC 115/230V 50/60Hz (switching PSU)
MODEL: 350W- 2024SPF

PROBLEM

blank black screen after the ASUS logo comes up

Comments

• sgoldmansgoldman Baltimore
    edited May 2010
    It sounds like it's the HDD that's causing your problem. I would try replacing the HDD and see if the problem persists. The next thing would be the mobo.
  • edited May 2010
    sgoldman wrote:
    It sounds like it's the HDD that's causing your problem. I would try replacing the HDD and see if the problem persists. The next thing would be the mobo.

i already borrowed another HDD from a relative and replaced my HDD but when i tried to start the PC, i got an error (i don't remember what it says) with a blue background ( i believe it's a BSOD?)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Swapping hard drives requires you to reinstall Windows even if the drive you put in had Windows on it before. Did you do that?

Best bet is to buy a new drive, reinstall windows, and see what happens.
    edited May 2010
    As Buddy said, you must reinstall Windows on the new disk in order to use it. You can't use a disk from any Windows machine. Device drivers and HAL must be match up or you'll get that BSOD that you saw.
  • edited May 2010
    i guess so, but the another problem is...my CD-ROM don't work and i lost my Windows XP cd.
    edited May 2010
    That is indeed a problem. From the look of your processor it seems you may have a pretty old motherboard that you're trying to squeeze as much out of as possible. Is that correct? If so, you may consider that it's time to move on. The reason for a HDD failure AND a CD-ROM drive failure could be a bad motherboard. Considering the age of the board, it's probably using IDE as well. It's possible the IDE controller is going bad.
  • edited May 2010
    sgoldman wrote:
    That is indeed a problem. From the look of your processor it seems you may have a pretty old motherboard that you're trying to squeeze as much out of as possible. Is that correct? If so, you may consider that it's time to move on. The reason for a HDD failure AND a CD-ROM drive failure could be a bad motherboard. Considering the age of the board, it's probably using IDE as well. It's possible the IDE controller is going bad.

yeah, in fact my PC is turning 7 year old this year :(, i live in the Philippines, and the prices of a brand-new motherboard here is pretty expensive, it costs from 5,000Php (116USD)-10,000Php(232USD) or above that's why i'm trying to squeeze it off as much out as possible. Here in my country, brand-new IDE motherboards w/ DDR1 slots are hard to find, and i just don't want to replace my IDE HDD because of some important files that i have in there. But i guess i don't have any other choice...if it cannot be fixed without replacing any parts, then i guess i just have to buy a new motherboard if i could find one.
    edited May 2010
    I would suggest trying to backup whatever you can to a USB Memory device if possible. This way you're a little protected from hardware failure.
    edited May 2010
    On a side note, I am a little jealous just because I think Philipino food is some of the best I've had and Philipino women are beautiful. (I live in the US)
  • edited May 2010
    sgoldman wrote:
    On a side note, I am a little jealous just because I think Philipino food is some of the best I've had and Philipino women are beautiful. (I live in the US)

indeed, we may not have been blessed with a good economy but on the other side, we're blessed with a beautiful spots, beautiful people and every tourists here should never miss our trademark specialty food, the chicken adobo :rockon:...BTW how is it possible to backup files when none of the safe modes work?