This is yagga 2010 build time

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited May 2010 in Hardware
First of all, let me know if there is a good reason to wait for something coming soon. My plans unfortunately include an 8 month old cpu. Also, memory was cheaper and cpus were the same price exactly last November, so am I at a loss building now? Let me know before we begin.

Second, ideally I would like a low power, low heat, low noise, high clock system, however, again my plans aren't exactly tuned for that, more like bang for buck instead. I haven't built a system for myself in almost seven years. I had built a handful of dual & quads about 2-2.5 years ago. I really liked the E8400s back then, but to my disappoint they are practically the same price today. I like efficient and cool chips. And dang, $30-$40 good memory kits, I want again.

Overall, I kinda don't have a budget, but really kinda do. And it varies depending on what components are included, and the time frame of obtaining parts. It's a bit undecided. Let's field it at $1200

Old system:

P4 2.8C
ATI 800 AIW
2x1 + 2x2 GB DDR400 in dual channel mode (3GB)
Asus P4C800 E-Deluxe

New plans

CPU: I7 860 $213 after taxes at MicroCenter
Motherboard: Gigabyte ____
Memory: G.Skill 2x2GB 1600 F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM $110 Newegg
Harddrives: reuse, and/or F3 1GB
PSU: Corsair 750w HX $140 w/MIR Amazon
GPU: Powercolor 5770 $120 w/MIR Newegg
Case: Antec 300
Optical Drive: ??? Generally about $20-25 online or MicroCenter
Mouse: YES, a generic Microsoft FULL SIZE mouse $17-18 Newegg/Tigerdirect
Keyboard: Recycle something for now
Monitor: Recycle spare 19" or 21" CRT for now, but do want something bigger
Speakers: Logitech Z-2300 $94 w/MIR Amazon
Surge & UPS: recycle stuff, later purchase maybe

1. Motherboards: Don't need dual/tri gpu slots. I think I'll be a single GPU person for a while. I basically do need to keep this cost down. Under $200, preferably nearer $100. I get tingly with Gigabyte btw, but am open to experimenting.

2. I like this for a PSU, in order; quiet, efficient (ideally gold or higher:rolleyes:), clean output, modular. I do not need a monster! I do not want to break the bank, but would splurge a bit on the right one.

3. Case. Ideas? Cheap + functional + solid + doesn't look like painted garbage. MicroCenter seemed to have good rebates a couple years ago on cases still around that just don't seem of good value to me now.

4. Any preferences on optical drives? Ideally cheap ones. I Would consider High-def formats. I still use both good and evil formats.

5. REALLY WANT some AWESOME 2.1 speakers. I already have mediocre surround that are barely used besides 2.1.

6. Is everyone aboard the seven train for os? Where is it best to get. Kinda have the 'get Ultimate or get nothing' mentality.

7. Chose I7 860 because 750 is NOT a good value, and speedy dual cores cost $300ish, and cheap dual cores lack features and are close for clocks. The 920 is sold out at $170+tax, and the 930 costs the same as the 860. The 860 runs cooler. Also, I have no plans on partial upgrading in future. I would consider buying the cheapest now, if it were financially and long-term performance-wise beneficial to purchase the high end chip later as it is being phased out of the market.

Comments

• JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited May 2010
    I've heard only good things about the Radeon HD 5770 for your graphics, and it is under $200.
    If you're going to buy soon, the Antec TP-750 can be found on newegg for $120 at the moment. The psu is 80 plus bronze, and the design is semi-modular. I'm running the same psu basically except mine has the blue LED in it. As it is i've used almost every cable that can't be removed from the PSU, all but one I think. I don't know how long the sale on it will last though.

Edit: Here is the blue one for the same price, if you're into that kind of thing.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2010
    Jingalls wrote:
    I've heard only good things about the Radeon HD 5770 for your graphics, and it is under $200.
    If you're going to buy soon, the Antec TP-750 can be found on newegg for $120 at the moment. The psu is 80 plus bronze, and the design is semi-modular. I'm running the same psu basically except mine has the blue LED in it. As it is i've used almost every cable that can't be removed from the PSU, all but one I think. I don't know how long the sale on it will last though.

Edit: Here is the blue one for the same price, if you're into that kind of thing.

Actually, $120 - $15 w/ promo code tp1505 -$20 MIR = $85 or so. Looking better..
  • JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited May 2010
    That's about half what I paid for it about a year ago. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.