Looking to Lose a Few Pounds.

2»

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    mirage wrote:
    ... I think I deserved a beer with my chips and salsa :)

Am I wrong that this is completely backwards? Never reward your workout by eating bad. Now if you have a beer and some chips and salsa once or twice a week AND continue to exercise and eat well the rest of the time, you are good. I just see the "I just worked out more then normal, I can eat this [bad for you item] because I just burnt that many calories" attitude as a slippery slope for overweight peeps.

If you are already fit, that is a different story.

-Bobby
  • edited June 2010
    Bobby1211 wrote:
    Am I wrong that this is completely backwards? Never reward your workout by eating bad.

The calories of one bottle of light beer and a cup of corn chips is less than 500. I have spent ~200 more than that already. See, I also count calories but for rewarding myself. One feels so much better after an intense exercise partly due to the endorphin released. Plus, I can reward myself with something I should definitely avoid otherwise. Additionally, I feel much more energetic during the day. This works for me, I am 15 pounds less than a year ago.
    edited June 2010
    mirage wrote:
    The calories of one bottle of light beer and a cup of corn chips is less than 500. I have spent ~200 more than that already. See, I also count calories but for rewarding myself. One feels so much better after an intense exercise partly due to the endorphin released. Plus, I can reward myself with something I should definitely avoid otherwise. Additionally, I feel much more energetic during the day. This works for me, I am 15 pounds less than a year ago.

So instead of being -700 cal you are only -200. You could also celebrate with an apple and a slice of cheese and be -600.

Don't get me wrong, :rockon: Rock on with what works for you, but keep in mind we are advising a health newb (no offense, couldn't think of a better word) on what to do here. Advising to 500 cal snack as a reward for a workout is not good advice.

-Bobby
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    mirage wrote:
    I think your exercise was not sufficient. My experience is that exercise in the limited space of a gym is not as effective as running 10 miles or biking 40 miles for burning the calories. You might just end up with better muscles in the gym without any weight loss. You are also right that while doing exercise, one has to start controlling the eating habits. All I am saying is that losing weight is not practical without exercise. Of course weight loss is possible with controlled diet, but I can not sustain so much restriction on my diet too long.

You're simply using exercise as a means to offset your eating habits. It's great you've found something that works, but you're recommending a regimen to keep yourself at maintenance with a moderate level of fitness to someone with limited physical ability that is trying to lose weight.

Your training allows you to be more carefree about your diet. Low weight and higher body fat is both a product of and advantageous to endurance activities like running or biking. A diet mostly based in carbohydrates and simple sugars keeps you in form.

Yet, in someone who is overweight, they do not have the physical capacity to run ten miles and create that 800 calorie deficit—it may even cause injury depending on their weight, while a carb heavy diet and excessive calories will stunt their weight loss.

I'm not advising an abandonment of fitness, simply stating that the old adage, "Strength in the gym, size in the kitchen," is entirely true. The basis of your lifestyle starts with what you put in your body each day, not simply picking up a the weights a few times a week or biking.
  • edited June 2010
    I did not mean to recommend eating 500 calorie snacks regularly. I just underlined the importance/advantage of exercise that eases the restrictions of diet. I clearly stated in my first post the importance of improving eating habits. This can be done without any calorie count. If healthy eating can be combined/supported with exercise, the diet can be less strict and life can be more enjoying.

I had read this article in Time magazine some time ago. I did not find it scientific but you guys would like it I think.

Here are some rebuttals
    http://physicalsubculture.com/2009/08/14/time-magazine-lets-us-all-down/
    http://blogs.discovery.com/jonathan_ross/2009/08/defenseofexercise.html

Mirage out.
    edited June 2010
    mirage wrote:
    I had read this article in Time magazine some time ago. I did not find it scientific but you guys would like it I think.

Here are some rebuttals
    http://physicalsubculture.com/2009/08/14/time-magazine-lets-us-all-down/
    http://blogs.discovery.com/jonathan_ross/2009/08/defenseofexercise.html

Mirage out.

Ohhhhh input, Interesting looking articles. Will read these later. Thanks for posting them.

-Bobby
  • ExtraRadicalExtraRadical Michigan
    edited June 2010
    Okay, So i have pretty much quit drinking soda.
    I also (starting June 11) have made a plan to spread out my meal times and have a total of 5 meals a day. I might work out, but i recently found out, not too much working is needed to lose weight. So in that case, im just going to start watching what i eat for a while, and then maybe after i lose a little weight, i will go to the gym to get strengthed. haha
    Thanks for all the tips.
    Also, if you have any good meal plans, post them on here.
    Thank you all.
  • edited July 2010
    Try going to the gym. Only 15 to 20 min a day can do a lot of good.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Switch yourself to a low fat,high protein,high carb "diet" (fish, streak, rice, pasta, eggs, milk products, steamed veggies, potatoes). Alot of people think sugar is the devil when concerning weight loss. It's not if used properly.

Used properly in this sense means if you take a decent amount of sugar (glass of kool-aid or a glass of chocolate milk) 5-10 minutes before you work out you'll be able to push yourself longer and harder. Use the sugar rush to your advantage....

Also, drinking "cheap" protein shakes (discount ones that DON'T include creatine and will cost you less then 30$) when you first wake up will set you in motion for the rest of the day. Most people who want to loose weight have a large problem eating first thing in the morning. It'll be your savior if you can get past "not being hungry" and the after taste. If the shake clumps and tastes like chocolate chalk you'll know you've found the right one. These ones aren't possible to hand mix. Use a blender, trust me!

As far as your work-out routine. Go for a short, weight intensive training mixed with a cardio exercise such as bicycle-crunches. You'll want to get started with a small number and a slow pace before you start going intensive. You could always go with something like Thai-chi, yoga or pilaties before advancing to more technique intense exercises.

...One final thing to remember. Always have a cool down period or your body will hate you for days after a couples minutes of working out. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet . If it's going to work you have to be in it for the long haul

A Diet is what you eat and dieting is a short term solution. Remember that.

Hope that helps

p.s. I speak from experience. See attached file.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I could not agree more with Mr T. Don't diet, fix your nutrition permanently. It has to be a lifestyle change. Not a "I want to lose a few pounds". Those pounds come back as soon as you go back to old ways and old habits. Nutrition and exercise. Make the change.
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Shorty wrote:
    I could not agree more with Mr T. Don't diet, fix your nutrition permanently. It has to be a lifestyle change. Not a "I want to lose a few pounds". Those pounds come back as soon as you go back to old ways and old habits. Nutrition and exercise. Make the change.

Completely agree - you need to make sure your "new" eating habits fit into a lifestyle that encourages healthy eating and activity.

Do what's best for yourself and you generally won't go wrong - just don't be overly zealous and make yourself miserable, make sure you're taking a couple meals a week that are slightly off the new path - you're a person, not a robot, if you try to act like a robot you will fail.

Moderate everything.
  • edited September 2010
    Losing weight is matter of self discipline. This is one helpful way on how you can lose weight. Stay away from foods that are full of calories. This will help you stay fit and walking every day will help in losing a few pounds.
    <!--EndFragment-->
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Yes, definitely only eat foods without calories.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Annes wrote:
    Yes, definitely only eat foods without calories.

I recommend the celery and red wine diet.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Fruits and vegetables are a staple of any healthy diet. The government said so.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    MAGIC wrote:
    I recommend the celery and red wine diet.

Throw in some peanut butter and I'm sold.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Fruits and vegetables are a staple of any healthy diet. The government said so.

gubmint stole mah baybee
    edited September 2010
    seriously though, you're allowed to eat/drink anything you want - as long as it has never been above the boiling point of water. It'll work.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    seriously though, you're allowed to eat/drink anything you want - as long as it has never been above the boiling point of water. It'll work.

Like mercury right?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    You mean I can eat argon? I've always wondered what argon tastes like.
    edited September 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    Like mercury right?

Fish has been cooked, so it's out. Feel free to eat as much sushi as the budget will allow in this case, because that'll be near zero.

How's this coming along? Should be something like 20-30 pounds down by now.