Memory timings

MephiSkAMephiSkA Coaticook, Quebec, Canada
edited May 2010 in Hardware
Hello everyone,

I hope someone can answer this :

I have 4 memory modules (2 kits of 2X2GB) for a total of 8GB DDR3 1333. The exact part number is : OCZ3G1333LV4GK (2x)

When I run CPU-Z or Memtest86+, both programs say my memory slot 1 and 3 are running at max bandwith PC3-8500F (533MHz) and slot 2 and 4 are running with max bandwith of PC3-10700H (667MHz).

I had only one kit and just added the second one (went from 4GB to 8GB) and I think before upgrading the memoey was running at 8500.

Both memory kits are the exact same. Is it the motherboard that is downclocking two of my memory units ? I have an asus P7P55D-E with a core i5 750. There are overclocking options in the Bios (auto and manual) but I don't know much about overclicking so I stayed away from any memory or cpu timing modifications. I am wondering if my computer is running optimal or is there a way I can change something to make this better..

Thank you very much!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    It's not possible for the motherboard to run some sticks at a different frequency from others, so you must be seeing the SPD timings OCZ has programmed into these modules.

OCZ uses the timings as "safe settings" so any PC is guaranteed to boot with them installed, and the user must then dial the modules up to the correct settings listed on the package. Many other companies do this, too.

If you could post a screenshot of the memory tab of CPU-Z, as well what motherboard+CPU you have, we can tell you what's up.
  • MephiSkAMephiSkA Coaticook, Quebec, Canada
    edited May 2010
    As stated above, the motherboard is an Asus P7P55D-E with an Intel Core i5 750. Here are the screenshots :

1274887959.PNG

1274888030.PNG

1274888073.PNG

1274888124.PNG

1274888156.PNG

1274888187.PNG
    edited May 2010
    Okay, your memory is currently running at 533MHz, which is PC3-8500/DDR3-1066 speeds. To get your memory running at 667MHz/PC3-10600/DDR3-1333 speeds, you need to adjust the memory multiplier on your motherboard to 10x, and the memory voltage to 1.5/1.55/1.60/1.65v (one of these will work).

Motherboards run the memory at the slowest speeds defined by the slowest modules. Because you have two sticks with safe settings of 533MHz, everything is being pulled down by those until you tune 'em back to the right settings manually.
    edited May 2010
    Is there a reason only two of my modules have been slowed down and the other two are at normal speed ? Is it because they were inserted first ? They are the exact same memory modules with the exact same part numbers..
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Your 2nd photo shows the Memory tab of CPU-z, you can see all 8GB in the upper left and ALL of that ram is running at 534.7 (DDR3-1069.4) as shown.

The SPD tab will never change, it is written on the memory by OCZ during manufacturing.
    As Thrax has stated, ALL memory in a system runs at the same speed, all the time.
    edited May 2010
    MephiSkA wrote:
    Is there a reason only two of my modules have been slowed down and the other two are at normal speed ? Is it because they were inserted first ? They are the exact same memory modules with the exact same part numbers..
    It's not possible for the motherboard to run some sticks at a different frequency from others, so you must be seeing the SPD timings OCZ has programmed into these modules.

OCZ uses the timings as "safe settings" so any PC is guaranteed to boot with them installed, and the user must then dial the modules up to the correct settings listed on the package. Many other companies do this, too.
    edited May 2010
    Thanks a lot, I completely understand your explanations. I have tested removing modules and keeping only the 10700 modules and the same thing with 8500 modules for a test and it does use the lowest speed which is normal. The question I have is : Why do my two memory kits differ even tough they have the exact same part number and UPC code ? Could OCZ change the spg timings programmed in the memory modules between the time I bought the first package and the time I bought the second one (about 3 months) or is there a problem with the ram that is programmed at 8500 ? Thanks again guys and sorry for being such a noob :P
    edited May 2010
    Could OCZ change the spg timings programmed in the memory modules between the time I bought the first package and the time I bought the second one (about 3 months)

I can't say for sure, as I do not work for OCZ, but I'd bet that is exactly what happened. Perhaps a new generation of motherboards work better when the memory's safe speed boots at 8500, rather than 10700? Could easily be true. :)
    edited May 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    I can't say for sure, as I do not work for OCZ, but I'd bet that is exactly what happened. Perhaps a new generation of motherboards work better when the memory's safe speed boots at 8500, rather than 10700? Could easily be true. :)
    Smart man, this guy ;)
    edited May 2010
    Thanks a lot for your answers guys! I will try contacting OCZ if I have some time and ask them :P
    edited May 2010
    MephiSkA wrote:
    Thanks a lot for your answers guys! I will try contacting OCZ if I have some time and ask them :P
    I work for OCZ.

If the 2 SPD's are different like they show, then we changed for a reason.
    edited May 2010
    lol sorry I did not noticed you worked for OCZ :P Thanks for this answer! Do you think there is any way I can get the OCZ rma dept to exchange these two modules that have a minimum spd of 8500 for modules that are at 10700 or do you think they will tell me to change those manually ? Thanks a lot!
    edited May 2010
    We still guarantee the modules to work at the timings/speed on the tin, so you will have to set the speed manually, yes.