General Testing?

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited June 2010 in Hardware
I've taken two 'problem' PCs out of our network, reformatted them and put them back on the domain, atm just next to me as spare PCs.

Rather than try to diagnose the problem I simply shifted the users on to new machines as it was quicker for all involved (we had machines built and there was nothing much to transfer over).

How can I test these PCs to be fairly confident that there's no hardware problems and that reimaging them will have done the trick? - I'm aware of Memtext 86 and SeaTools to check the memory and HDD, but I'm not sure if these are the tools of choice anymore. Also, these only check those bits of hardware.

So, what routine and or tools would you suggest (free ideally) I follow on these two PCs before allowing them to be used by a new employee a couple of months down the line?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Microscope is a good peice of software. It tests ALL aspects of computer hardware.

And you can do loop tests, leaving it for hours at a time.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited June 2010
    Hi Osaddict,

The two you have named are both still commonly used. You may want to read the licence agreements though. Most free solutions are only available for personal use. If you are wanting to use the for commercial purposes it might not be legal. Seatools is designed for Seagate drives so on that basis it my be free as logically you will have purchased a Seagate drive.

I have never read the licence agreements so I dont know about their commercial availability but most AV software is only free for home use.