Picking parts to upgrade the PC

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Hardware
I'm thinking of upgrading my main PC, which is used mostly for gaming and general internet usage.

I have a couple different motherboards and 3 CPUs here already to choose from. I'm wondering if any of these will make an improvement before I go buy other parts.

Motherboards - Gigabyte EP45-DS3R Socket 775
MSI K9A2 Platinum Socket AM2+

CPUs - E7300 dual core Socket 775 2.66 Ghz, AM2+ Phenom X3 8750 3 core, AM2+ Phenom 9650 4 core 2.3 Ghz

The main PC parts will be the same. No need to change the case, power supply, CPU heat sink, hard drives, DVD burner, etc. Just a motherboard / CPU upgrade.

I have 6 GB worth of DDR2 RAM total, but until I go to Windows 7 I can't use more than 4 GB on Windows XP.

The EP45 has 2 GPU slots and the K9A2 has 4. I'll keep the thing folding with as many GPUs as possible.

Would the K9A2 with a quad core 9650 be better than the EP45 with a dual core? That's the biggest question here now.

If both motherboard / CPU combinations are more or less the same in terms of performance, what would be a good upgrade without being too expensive?

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Tim wrote:
    I'm thinking of upgrading my main PC, which is used mostly for gaming and general internet usage.

I have a couple different motherboards and 3 CPUs here already to choose from. I'm wondering if any of these will make an improvement before I go buy other parts.

Motherboards - Gigabyte EP45-DS3R Socket 775
    MSI K9A2 Platinum Socket AM2+

CPUs - E7300 dual core Socket 775 2.66 Ghz, AM2+ Phenom X3 8750 3 core, AM2+ Phenom 9650 4 core 2.3 Ghz

The main PC parts will be the same. No need to change the case, power supply, CPU heat sink, hard drives, DVD burner, etc. Just a motherboard / CPU upgrade.

I have 6 GB worth of DDR2 RAM total, but until I go to Windows 7 I can't use more than 4 GB on Windows XP.

The EP45 has 2 GPU slots and the K9A2 has 4. I'll keep the thing folding with as many GPUs as possible.

Would the K9A2 with a quad core 9650 be better than the EP45 with a dual core? That's the biggest question here now.

If both motherboard / CPU combinations are more or less the same in terms of performance, what would be a good upgrade without being too expensive?

That MSI board is AM3 ready with a bios update, maybe you should consider dropping a Phenom II on it?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I could, if it were better than putting a 4 core on the Gigabyte board. Is it?

Would a Phenom II X6 1055T work on the MSI K9A2? 6 core! It already has the updated 1.90 BIOS. Unless there's a newer BIOS now. Only problem is my K9A2s are version 1 which can only handle 95 watt CPUs, I'd have to get a version 2, and at that point I might as well sell 1 and buy a new motherboard.
    edited May 2010
    What about adding a quad core or 6 core (if available) to the Gigabyte board? Would that be enough of an improvement to be worth it?
    edited May 2010
    No one has anything to say?

I was thinking a good quad core on the Gigabyte board would be the most cost effective improvement.
  • edited June 2010
    Unfortunately, there's no hex core for the P45/socket775. I'm not too familiar with older AMD cpu's performance level, but this anandtech cpu benchmark comparison page might help:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/23?vs=62