Funkyness with Sharp TV as monitor

SpampySpampy Madison, WI
edited June 2010 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I'm running a first-gen Macbook Pro into a Sharp LC32D62U on both windows and mac. After a lot of issues with overscan on windows, I've gotten both OSs to look half-decent, with readable text. The problem is color.

I've tried calibrating my monitor using the displays tool in system preferences in mac, not really as much in windows, and I'm stuck with this weird issue where a bright webpage, such as a clean google.com, for example, will lead to crazy over-saturated colors, especially reds. If I switch to a dark webpage, say blackle.com for consistency, the colors on the screen will become washed out. This is a full-screen issue, where my google notifier in my top bar or my taskbar will either be blown out or washed out depending on what's on screen.

This appears to be something with the television, although I'm not really sure, as this issue occurs in both operating systems. I have black expansion off and the television's autoblack "OPC" feature disabled as well, yet there is a discernible difference when I switch between two tabs of strongly varying brightness.

I know TVs aren't the best monitors for computers but I figured this TV is pretty good (true 1080p @ 32"), I should try it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I know my TV has an automatic contrast mode that does close to what you're describing, I'd suggest looking for and disabling that.