Thin client using Ubuntu

TroganTrogan London, UK
edited June 2010 in Science & Tech
Where I volunteer we are looking into the set up of a thin client using Ubuntu. Initially, there will be a test setting up the thin client. If the test is successful the thin client will most likely be rolled out across the workshop.

The IT manager and me attempted the set up earlier this week following the Ubuntu LTSP Quick Install documentation, but had to stop as it was getting late. We started installing the LTSP installer on a HP ProLiant server. We are going to start again next week.

I'd like to know if anyone has set up a thin client with Ubuntu before? Or even just set up a thin client? Any advice before next week?

Thanks!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2010
    I set up a test network using lstp and following their instructions and had no issues on most machines that supported PXE boot. However their was one that wouldn't connect and had some version error.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I set up a Linux thin-client home network for a Folding@Home farm some years ago using Gentoo. Setting it up and testing it is going to be a fun couple of days, just ensure that your thin client has a PXE-capable network card and BIOS.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the replies! Just a quick update in case you're interested...

The LTSP has been installed on the server. We have some donated Netvoyager LX-1010 thin clients that will be used.

Unfortunately, when I took one to test I was unable to get into the BIOS due to it requiring a password. Opened the case but there was no jumper to reset. A second thin client box would not power on at all. Found a few more Netvoyager thin clients but it was getting late so couldn't test them. Will have to wait until next week.
    edited June 2010
    Try removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery if it has one.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    On motherboards that don't have BIOS jumpers, there are frequently pads on the motherboards where the pins would have been installed.
    edited June 2010
    drasnor wrote:
    Try removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery if it has one.

There was a CMOS battery. I'll try removing that next time.
    Thrax wrote:
    On motherboards that don't have BIOS jumpers, there are frequently pads on the motherboards where the pins would have been installed.

I remember seeing a squarish pad. What would I do with it? Pull it apart and back in again?

Thanks.
    edited June 2010
    Trogan wrote:
    I remember seeing a squarish pad. What would I do with it? Pull it apart and back in again?
    Sorry, sometimes we forget not everyone is intimately familiar with electronics jargon. The pads Thrax is referring to are tinned holes or plates where it appears a component could have been soldered to the board but weren't. This picture shows a set of pads intended for manufacturer testing that are similar to what you'll be looking for.
    automatic-test-pads.jpg
    A pair for a BIOS reset will be near the BIOS chip and CMOS battery on the motherboard and likely have a square or ring of silkscreen (the white printing) surrounding them with a label like "RESET", "RST", or "J4" or something. If you have something like this, you can reset the BIOS by turning the machine off and shorting the two pads together with a screwdriver for 5-10 seconds. You'll want to check your motherboard manual though since not all boards include this feature. Pulling and reinstalling the battery nearly always works if you don't have a manual.
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Drasnor for the explanation. I got into the BIOS by finding the password after doing a Google search. Turns out it was a manufacturers password.

On to another problem: I need to edit the dhcpd.conf file but keep getting denied, although I was logged into the root account. Tried the chmod command to change permission but still no luck. Any suggestions?