Valve announces making games is hard (No, really)

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited June 2010
    This isn't much of a surprise, really, but it's still a shame.

It'd be nice if Valve actually kept to a schedule for once. L4D DLC is nowhere to be seen (nor is the comic which is supposed to come before it), Episode 3... Yeah, they're amazing devs who've made some of the best games in the past ten years, but the constant delays and non-surfacing products is getting a little dull. Especially with Left 4 Dead 2 appearing a year after L4D1.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I would rather wait for a well polished game than get a rushed piece of crap.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    As long as Valve eventually releases the game they intended to make, gamers will benefit from the wait. The only time I get worried/frustrated by constant delays is when they threaten whether the game is ever released at all.

(see: Forever, Duke Nukem)
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if the departure of the lead dev had an negative impact on the timeliness of the game. Regardless, I would rather HL2:E3 move up the priority list. The idea of not being able to complete a series is irking me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I think they're going to wow us with a new engine.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    It's about time. I'm sick of getting beyond playable frame rates in all of their games.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Obsidian, are you talking about Source? That's one of the most scalable engines I've seen. It runs so well on so many different types of hardware.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    coldalarm wrote:
    L4D DLC is nowhere to be seen
    WAT?

I seem to recall there being L4D DLC in the form of The Survival pack. Was I on mind altering drugs or something? Not to mention all of the fan-created DLC that's out there.

I say, given the quality of the games they produce, Valve can take their time. They have a pass as far as I'm concerned. As long as they're making progress anyway.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    When fan created DLC is made by fewer people in less time to a higher quality you get to question the studio's DLC.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    The survival pack DLC was pretty massive imo... but then again, I'm one of those strange people that buy a game for the game not for the DLC.
    edited June 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    WAT?

I seem to recall there being L4D DLC in the form of The Survival pack. Was I on mind altering drugs or something? Not to mention all of the fan-created DLC that's out there.
    I'm talking about the L4D DLC which ties in with the Passing. Valve stated we would get the Passing in April (turned out to be May, IIRC), there would then be a comic release, and then a month after the Passing we would get the final piece of L4D DLC, which would link in with the Passing and the comic to give a full story arc to link the two games.
    It's been about a month and a half and not even a shred of info has surfaced about the comic or the DLC.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    coldalarm wrote:
    I'm talking about the L4D DLC which ties in with the Passing. Valve stated we would get the Passing in April (turned out to be May, IIRC), there would then be a comic release, and then a month after the Passing we would get the final piece of L4D DLC, which would link in with the Passing and the comic to give a full story arc to link the two games.
    It's been about a month and a half and not even a shred of info has surfaced about the comic or the DLC.
    Clearly you are unfamiliar with Valve Time. I hope the preceding link enlightens you to their odd chronology.

Also, software development time is impossible to precisely predict. Any release date promised when you aren't in a code complete state is 100% wishful thinking.
    edited June 2010
    I'm familiar with Valve Time.

Valve haven't said a thing about the final L4D DLC, which is why I find it so annoying. They said The Passing and then L4D DLC a month later, and there's not even been a whiff of the DLC since. Heck, there's more information about the never-surfacing Ep 3 and the now-delayed Portal 2.
  • PT
    edited June 2010
    You are right coldalarm... cause like a month has passed since the dlc came out and YOU WANT IT ALL RITE NOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I don't like the delays but I respect that they want a finished project before they send it out.