Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz, time to upgrade?

MathsParMathsPar New
edited June 2010 in Hardware
Hey guys

I built my PC a few years ago now and haven't really done much to it (although it is now running Windows 7 instead of XP).

Just wanting to check with the experts wether it's worth doing a mass upgrade or not.

I've got an Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6750 processor, there seemed to be a switch to Quad cores when I was building it but they were very new and it made the Duo cheaper at the time so I went for that. Would it be time for me to get a Quad core? Or has there been a bigger leap in technology since I last checked? Would I notice much difference?

RAM is at 2GB, happy enough with that at the moment but if you think extra RAM would be utilised in new software/games then I might think about adding some more.

Have a Radeon X1950 series GPU, does the job, not a massive PC gamer, play Xbox and PS3 more. Would probably look at installing a Blu Ray player at some point though, do you think X1950s can handle HD well?

All I can tell you about the motherboard is that it's a Gigabyte one, forgotten the type, got any software I can use to list all the PC hardware?

Willing to spend a few hundred pounds but only really if it'll make noticable improvements. Thanks in advance for any tips/recommendations.

Cheers

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    The x1950 is not going to cut the mustard when it comes to decoding full HD. That's something you should focus on upgrading. If you're willing to spend a few hundred pounds, you could almost revamp your entire system. Still, I'd consider a new video card first and foremost if HD video is going to be your preferred task.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I'd drop in another 2GB and add a better GPU as Prime suggested. Your CPU and your motherboard are more than ready to handle the tasks you've outlined, but those two points are not.
  • MathsParMathsPar New
    edited June 2010
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    The latter is more expensive because it uses a better cooler. If you're not too worried about getting temps as low as possible or overclocking the stock cooler is fine. Don't bother paying extra for a factory overclocked card. You could easily do it yourself in just a couple minutes with AMD Overdrive.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    The HD 5770 is a fantastic choice, MathsPar. It's economical and quick. I wouldn't bother paying for the faster one, though, as it won't give you much return on your investment.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Hey, I'd totally appreciate it if you used our amazon affiliate link to buy whatever you're going to buy :D

http://icrontic.com/support

<3
  • MathsParMathsPar New
    edited June 2010
    Going to wait a month but when I do I'll use the link, it's Amazon.co.uk though so hopefully it will still track.
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    a modern system has these following components and/or equivalents.

cpu: a dual core minimum, and if you do more than general purpose (ie. netbook stuff like school, web browsing and email) you need a cpu that has sse4 or later. sse instruction sets are feature additions to processors, and each processor even though named pentium/core or otherwise even at the same clockspeeds have different featuresets and codenames. you will need a sse4+ cpu if you are going to do anything with high def. (the sse 4.1 instruction set is actually made for decoding hd)

ram: 4gb minimum if under xp (or 3.2), or win7 4-8gb. i recommend dual or triple channel ddr2 or ddr3. kingston makes good value ram now as that is what i currently use in my system.

bluray: lg drives seem to have from experience less compatibility issues with media and playback than other vendors in my experience.

videocard: for anything high def, i recommend ati over nvidia primarily because of uvd. (universal video decoder). this hardware built in accellerator decodes all hd content with zero cpu usage. i bought a radeon 4550 pcie with uvd in it. best $50 i ever spent for blu ray and all my .mkv high def madeness.

hope this helps.

cheers.

seamus....