BF 1942 patch?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited January 2004 in Gaming
I've just bought BF 1942 and played with it. I tried the multiplayer and every game I try to join says 'wrong version, would you like to update?' I click yes and it takes me to an EA games page with information about the UPCOMING 1.6 patch. There is nowhere on this page to update the game!
I didn't install gamespy, I don't really want it. Do I have to have it to play online or is there a patch I need?

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Here is a link to the 1.5 patch for you.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_3977.shtml

I use gamershell for most of my patches.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2004
    Added to favs, got and installed. Thanks Neo.
    I must say BF is a little disapointing after CoD. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Not a problem. Gamershell is top for patches and the servers are really quick.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Added to favs, got and installed. Thanks Neo.
    I must say BF is a little disapointing after CoD. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
    CoD = Single player
    BF1942 w/ Desert Combat = Multiplayer

;)
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited January 2004
    I played BF1942 well before CoD. BF all by itself didn't do alot for me, vehicles too slow, maps too big, weapons too ineffective. Then I discovered the Desert Combat mod.

OMFG!!!!! :clap:

I LOVE DC!!! LOVE IT!!! Vehicles are faster, weapons rock, everything just seems better. I haven't played vanilla BF in ages, for my money, BF exists to act only as an engine for DC, DC is where it is at!!

"Hey guys, I think Bill likes DC!"

I LOVE DC! :clap:
    edited January 2004
    Lovely, I'm up for work but when I get in I'll install the mod. I played a few levels last night and it's not so bad, I can see the potential with a little tweak.
    Thanks all.
  • edited January 2004
    Yay! Fellow BF1942/DC Mod fans! Do we have enough here for a clan and possibly scrimping together some change for a dedicated server? If any of you use All Seeing Eye, you can catch me by the name of "|O|||C| KingFish". I'm currently with the O-Company clan but it has kinda fizzled out as everyone has been busy with life. The guys that are there are great. The website is decent too if anyone wants to stop by and check it out. The url is www.o-company-bf1942.net . Since the clan has basically died, think we have enough to get something going here?

KingFish
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Cool, I like Desert Combat too. But due to Final Year Uni I don't have much time for computer gaems at the moment...

~Cyrix
    edited January 2004
    Still trying to get the mod, Is there anything to click and a 'save' box pops up? Also which version of DC shall I get? There seems to be a few.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Link. Bottom of the page.
  • edited January 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Still trying to get the mod, Is there anything to click and a 'save' box pops up? Also which version of DC shall I get? There seems to be a few.

The latest DC Mod version is .6. All news, links to get the file, etc can be found at www.desertcombat.com . The .6 version is a cumulative patch upgrade from vers .5. You'll need .5, install it, then install .6 to update it. This saves on file space because most people are upgrading from other versions. The .5 version is quite large at 573 or so megs. I think the .6 is between 200 and 300 megs. It's a worthy download though.

KingFish
    edited January 2004
    Can I say zoink? ZOINK! Great mod, It has transformed a quite good game into a very good game. I'll get version .6 tomorrow. Thanks all, if it wasn't for you guys I'd probably never have upgraded it. Nice one.
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited January 2004
    dc is amazing, but i wish they would just make up the opposing side, rather than call them iraqi. we've already won that war, and they were completely overmatched foe.
  • edited January 2004
    Another recommended program is All Seeing Eye. It's 10 bucks for a one year license. It is able to search different servers for whatever you want. It also can locate other players, even if they don't have All Seeing Eye. The information display is much better than the regular server screen in BF 1942. It's worth the ten dollars.

KingFish
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    question: does DC work with original BF1942, or do i need the raod to rome or whatever x-pak?

edit: wow whats a raod?
    edited January 2004
    I think you just need the normal one. Unless I have it and don't know it, I don't know what is Road to Rome.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    Another recommended program is All Seeing Eye. It's 10 bucks for a one year license. It is able to search different servers for whatever you want. It also can locate other players, even if they don't have All Seeing Eye. The information display is much better than the regular server screen in BF 1942. It's worth the ten dollars.

KingFish

HLSW (half life server watch) works for BF1942, it lets you save servers to a list and then you can view who is in them and what your ping is etc. Nice little free program. Works for most FPS multiplayer games. No searching options though. www.gametiger.net works for players/server searching if you don't want to pay.
  • edited January 2004
    croc_ wrote:
    HLSW (half life server watch) works for BF1942, it lets you save servers to a list and then you can view who is in them and what your ping is etc. Nice little free program. Works for most FPS multiplayer games. No searching options though. www.gametiger.net works for players/server searching if you don't want to pay.

I didn't know about half life server watch. Thanks for the info. I may go that route when my one year license expires or try the gametiger thing. As far as Road to Rome is concerned, you don't need it to play DC. I don't even know if DC will play on Road to Rome. If it will, you won't find anyone playing the Road to Rome maps. All you need is the original game patched to the latest version as well as the latest version of Desert Combat. Even though BF1942 has been on the market a while, I still think it's the best multiplayer first person shooter. I like the army type first person shooters based on real world weapons, so I guess I'm biased. I'm sure they will make a sequel to BF1942 with the latest graphics engine. I can't wait. I can't wait for half life 2 either.

KingFish
    edited January 2004
    I guess you haven't heard of Battlefield Vietnam. :D
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    sweet, looks like ill be installing BF1942 tonight. I almost want to go buy CoD since the single player was so fun (uh ... I played it at a friends house?) to try out multiplayer. Also I heard Delta Force: Black Hawk Down is pretty good as well.
  • edited January 2004
    I guess you haven't heard of Battlefield Vietnam. :D

Of course I've heard about it. It's not a standalone game though. It'll be an expansion pack much like Road to Rome was. There already is a pretty decent mod out there based on Vietnam called Eve of Destruction. Initially, it's a pretty good mod but once you get hooked on the fast action of Desert Combat, it's hard to slow down to Vietnam era weapons and really really hard to slow down to vintage WWII weapons in the original game. I'll buy the expansion pack just to see what was made of the official expansion pack.

KingFish
    edited January 2004
    AFAIK BF:V is a sequel with a diffrent engine.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited January 2004
    true dat

BF:V is a whole different game
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2004
    DC crashes after a map load. BF1942 doesn't .... weird .... I am dling .6 now maybe it will fix itself.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2004
    Is battlefield vietnam out? and is it a stand alone or is it a expansion?
  • edited January 2004
    I didn't know that Battlefield Vietnam was going to be based on a whole new engine and a standalone game. It's been a while since I've been to those forums. You caught me sleeping on the job. I'll still buy even though it'll cost more than just an expansion will cost. With what they have done with vertex shaders and directx 9 stuff I think it'll be good to look at. And I'm sure it's just a matter of time before desert combat brings their expansion to the new game. It's win-win.

KingFish
    edited January 2004
    Bud wrote:
    Is battlefield vietnam out? and is it a stand alone or is it a expansion?
    It's not part of BF1942. It's a new game and it's still not out.