M. Night Shyamalan, who was this movie for? The Last Airbender review

2»

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Are we ok with not spoiler-tagging these things? Somebody can go through afterwards and clean up if not. :p

Nothing in the movie appeared to indicate that she learned everything from the scroll - from my point of view, it looked like she learned some from the scroll and practiced that while en route through the earth villages or whatever on the way to the NWT, then appears to train with Aang - so they cut out the conflict, but to an outsider, it otherwise looked reasonable. It never showed Aang directly training with Pakku either, so it's not like it looked like he was getting trained and she wasn't... they both did the same things the whole time.

It seems like you're upset enough about it to misinterpret pieces to twist it into the abomination you feel that it is. If that's incorrect, I'll apologize, but... I followed the story with no background, I didn't see any great logical inconsistencies, and it seems like you're just hunting for ways to knock it. It's not a fantastic movie, by any means, and I can understand being hurt by an unfaithful remake, but... for people to call it the worst thing in a decade and for a guy's resignation seems like a bit much.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    There are few things that Prime and I agree 100% on. This is one of them. Uncomfortably bad. The bending of the elements is cool and MoMo I thought looked good and least Aang didn't turn in to a giant Fish at the end like in the cartoon. But the acting, no character development, mispronunciations of names, etc. Just make this movie unwatchable. I want to vomit rage everytime I think of this movie. Jarr Jarr is Oscar worthy compared to this pile of dog crap.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Lets read the opening from Roger Eberts review shall we....

"The Last Airbender" is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented."

In other words, Ebert says this film is so bad, you would literally have to invent a way of being more awful than this movie. My loose interpretation is that he feels like it might be the worst film ever made....
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I'm curious how did the bending look?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    A little straighter than in the cartoon, which is another shitty thing about this movie.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    You know what this movie should have been? It should have been an animated movie by the Avatar team with Aang and Zuko searching for Ursa (Zuko's mother). It never really sat right with me that her fate was left completely ambigious.

Aang could find a small pocket community of Air Nomads left proving that the world is still balanced between the four elements and the Avatar cycle could continue on.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    The air, water, and earthbending looked decent. The firebending was dull and muted with one exception (Iroh's rage at Zhao's treatment of the Moon Spirit was frightening). The firebenders seem woefully underpowered in this adaptation. They need sources of fire to bend? huh?
    edited July 2010
    At the end, the Fire King indicated that he was "unlocking" everybody's ability to create fire from their chi or whatever - so they had hidden that power from them or whatever, but they were going to let them loose so they could dominate everybody.
    edited July 2010
    He wasn't unlocking anything - they have to wait for the day Sozin's Comet comes in three years time. On that day alone, all Firebenders have the ability to create fire from nothing, at least according to movie canon.

I'll just say that the original story is significantly different in this regard.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    For the record, I know nothing about Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The fact that I don't and that so many people say it sucks actually combine to make me want to see it.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    What a twist!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Why is M Night still allowed to make films? He clearly has no clue what he's doing. He got lucky with some of his early films, and now we sit through attempt after limp attempt.

Man, it's frustrating to see someone like him still find success in the industry.
    edited July 2010
    I saw one reviewer say something like "It makes you wonder which studio exec's picture of him having sex with goats M. Night has in his possession..."
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Prime, that has to be true. Nothing he has done since sixth sense has been worth a damn of celluloid.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    For the record, I know nothing about Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The fact that I don't and that so many people say it sucks actually combine to make me want to see it.

My curiosity is also piqued because of the visceral responses.

Can we turn it into a drinking game?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Koreish wrote:
    I'm curious how did the bending look?
    The CGI was sweet, but they needed to complete a six-step dance routine before anything could happen. I'm pretty sure Katara had to do the entire Nutcracker ballet before she could pull off the octopus.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    So I guess this would be directed at Snark more than anyone else: I know nothing of the series. The trailer looked somewhat interesting - is it worth a $6 matinée showing?
    edited July 2010
    A fantastic piece by Culture Warrior over at FilmSchoolRejects.

[blockquote]One must conclude, then, that in the face of disapproval by so many, Shyamalan actually thinks he has made a good film, thus revealing Shyamalan’s deadly unknown unknown – the filmmaker does not know that he does not know competent filmmaking – a defense shield fortified by money, ignorance, and ego.[/BLOCKQUOTE]
    edited July 2010
    Yes, Nights.
  • edited July 2010
    When confronted about the movie, Shyamalan said:
    (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/m_night_shyamalan_on_the_last.html)

"It must be a language thing, in terms of a particular accent, a storytelling accent. I can only see it this certain way and I don't know how to think in another language. I think these are exactly the visions that are in my head, so I don't know how to adjust it without being me."

So basically, Shyamalan's answer as to why he did such a bad movie was saying he wasn't the right director for it. "You know what the real tragedy about all this is? I wasn't even supposed to be there that day!"

Splendid.
    edited July 2010
    lol brilliant. Thanks a ton, M. Night. :rolleyes:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I finally saw a clip of this move on YouTube, and I have to say to anyone that saw this in theatres: I'm sorry.

The four minutes I watched were so tragically bad that it made Anakin's "YOU WILL TRYYYY" speech from SW:EP3 seem like an Oscar-winning performance.
    edited July 2010
    Earthbenders! You are amazing!

:tim:
  • edited August 2010
    Hah. Spot on.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    Not that this review needed any validation, but for the record,
    edited February 2011
    I figured it out!

M. Night Shyamalan is J.P from "Grandma's Boy"!

"I'm a genius"