New computer won't even reach bios

edited July 2010 in Hardware
Hi guys I am new to here, hoping someone can help me out.

Bought a new computer in anticipation of SC2, but things are off to a shaky start.

Components are
Case - ANTEC Sonata III
PSU - Included Earthwatts EA-500D (500W)
CPU - AMD X2 555
GPU - ECS Nividia GT240
RAM - Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G (2x2Gb sticks)
Mobo - ASUS M4A78LT-M LE (1.01g)

Earlier today I had a Gigabyte G-B MA74GMT-S2 (1.0). I plugged everything in and started the computer up but although fans spun, nothing appeared on the monitor (i.e. it wasn't making it even to the BIOS).

Checked out the Gigabyte site and it turns out that that mobo doesn't support the 555.

Proceded to buy the ASUS mobo, seeing on the site that it supported the 555, but here I am with the same problems. On the site it says that it needs a certain BIOS version to work - does this mean I have to get another cpu to boot the computer and update the BIOS and then use my 555 cpu?

Or is it possible I am barking up the wrong tree here. Just want to see if anyone had had CPU incompatibility issues as well, before I start looking at other things. Also, i've been working with Macs the last few years, so I might be missing something, but nothing seems to have changed dramatically.

Any troubleshooting advice would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!!

Murray.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, if the BIOS doesn't support your current CPU, you'll need another CPU to boot the system so you can update the BIOS.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks for the quick response Thrax, if the BIOS is the problem, is there any way of making sure that that is the problem? For instance my system doesn't even beep when it boots, would that fit in with a mobo not supporting a CPU? Another thing on the side which doens't make any sense to me is that since I got the ASUS mobo, when i try to boot without the Nvidia card, the fans will spin up for a second or two then stop, as though there was some PSU or overheating issue, but with the Nvidia card back in this problem subsides.

Also, if I have to get another CPU to fix this, is there some cost effective way of doing this? None of my friends have am3 processors, do I have to plead with some store to let them use their spare parts or something?

Thanks!
  • edited July 2010
    Ah doh idiot mistake, I didn't have the 4pin 12V connector connected. It boots fine now. Thanks for your help anyway!