Bluetooth repeater

jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Hardware
Hey all:

I'm looking for a bluetooth repeater. I have a node at one end of a home and another at the other end, but the two can't link. I'm 100% positive it's a distance issue. I want to place a repeater in between.

It has to plug into a wall outlet, rx and re-tx bluetooth messages. Is it a repeater or maybe it's called something else. Anybody have any ideas?

J

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    What kind of Bluetooth devices need that kind of range?
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    custom data logger
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    How far is it? Maybe just pick up class 1 devices, rather than the shorter range 2/3 devices.
    edited July 2010
    The company that makes the extended range dongle that I'm using might be a class 1 (www.Aircable.com) There dongle is the only one that works with the software reliably. The range is pretty far already. It just needs a few extra yards.
    edited July 2010
    I would say 60 to 80 feet line of site, but PC is in the office which can't be moved and the node is under the kitchen sink. Yes I said kitchen sink.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I'm not sure you can do this with Bluetooth due to its frequency-hopping spread-spectrum nature. BT has more in common with WiFi than the wireless serial modems commonly used for this sort of thing. You'd have to build a device with two BT radios and associate one with each of the logger and the PC to get full duplex. You'd have a real mess of a time getting it to be transparent for your software.

You may want to look into XBee/Zigbee/802.15.4. That technology is made for this sort of problem.