Random Reboots

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited July 2010 in Hardware
A colleague's PC randomly reboots. Basically that’s it – he’s using the PC then it reboots its self. This has happened mostly when he’s been using GoToMeeting, but at other times too.

I thought it sounded like a power issue, hence I replaced the power cable the base unit is using, even replaced the extension lead so it goes wall socket to extension lead to kettle lead to PC. With nothing else plugged into the wall socket or the extension lead.

This was about 2-3 weeks ago, and I hadn’t heard anything since, so assumed it was solved. Now its has happened twice today...

I’ve looked in the event log and there is nothing suspicious.

I think the reboot side of things is key – if it was power coming loose I think he’d have to switch the PC back on again?

I have dug out a memtest86 CD which I shall run on the PC, does anyone have any other ideas?

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Go to my computer/computer properties, advanced, startup and recovery settings, and uncheck automatically restart on system error.
    Next time it happens you can diagnose it based on the bsod you get.

Could be a huge number of things, but memtest86 is not a bad place to start. Usually its hd or system memory. Could also be a screwy network driver or who knows what. bsod will tell all.