Cheap CPU Upgrade

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited July 2010 in Hardware
Right now I've got a Gigabyte P35 mobo with a Core Duo E8400 CPU running at 3.4 GHz

I just want to upgrade my CPU - I really can't afford going all the way up to an iX system. What's the best bang for the buck quad core CPU (recently it's been discovered how to optimize Flight Simualtor X for quads so I want a quad now) I can get for my mobo? Thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Probably the C2Q Q8300 for approximately $150.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I don't think a Q8300 would really be an upgrade for the most part. If you're willing to buy used you should be able to find a good deal on a Q9450. Unfortunately Intel hasn't dropped prices on the better Core 2 Quads in quite a while because they're pushing the Core i5's and i7's so the bang for the buck factor really isn't there anymore.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited July 2010
    How about just overclocking my CPU more then? I heard of some people reaching 4 GHz. What RAM / heatsink combo would get me there?

If I go past 3.4GHz on my current stuff I start getting Prime95 errors
  • edited July 2010
    Microcenter is selling Q9550 for $179.99. I think this is a very good deal.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0299412
    edited July 2010
    Out of stock
  • edited July 2010
    I spied your location :) You have probably checked the New Jersey store. Their website says they have 11 in stock at Long Island/Westbury store. You can buy online and pick up at the store. Yonkers has 20+
  • Nibiru2012Nibiru2012 Austin, TX
    edited July 2010
    panzerkw wrote:
    How about just overclocking my CPU more then? I heard of some people reaching 4 GHz. What RAM / heatsink combo would get me there?

If I go past 3.4GHz on my current stuff I start getting Prime95 errors

I overclock my E8400 to 3.6GHz with no problems at all. Prime95 runs okay.:cool:
  • Nibiru2012Nibiru2012 Austin, TX
    edited July 2010
    mirage wrote:
    Microcenter is selling Q9550 for $179.99. I think this is a very good deal.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0299412

That is a VERY good deal! Newegg has it for $278.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
    edited July 2010
    If you can make it to a MicroCenter then that Q9550 looks to be by far your best option.
    edited July 2010
    That's good, but, I still need a good pick for RAM. The crud I have now won't go past 425, which is only good for 3.6 GHz on the Q. I need something gooder (2 x 2GB)
  • edited July 2010
    panzerkw wrote:
    That's good, but, I still need a good pick for RAM. The crud I have now won't go past 425, which is only good for 3.6 GHz on the Q. I need something gooder (2 x 2GB)

2.83 to 3.6 GHz with Q9550 is a very good 27% overclock. Even if you upgrade your memory you can typically go up to 4 GHz but that is only 10% more than 3.6. And, assuming that your P35 motherboard will support >467 MHz FSB which might not. I would not recommend investing more into DDR2. Q9550 at 3.6 is a quite good performance level for anything out there.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    since when was $278 "cheap" ?

If you need a quad cpu, I'd look for a Q6600 on the "cheap"

otherwise, go iX
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Man, i7 930 at microcenter for 199 right now. Someone grab me one and I'll pick it up when I'm there next time :)
    edited July 2010
    fatcat wrote:

otherwise, go iX
    It's not, $180 was. The only reason that the $278 price was mentioned was to show by comparison how good a deal it is at MicroCenter.
  • edited July 2010
    fatcat wrote:

otherwise, go iX

Read first! :nudge:
    edited July 2010
    mirage wrote:
    Read first! :nudge:

I did, and I'm getting back on the originalâ„¢ topic

get the Q9550 for $180, and just run 400 FSB. do you really need more than 4x 3.2GHz?
    edited July 2010
    For Flight Simulator X, yes, every last Hz counts. But I just can't afford a few C bills to go i-Core, unfortunately
    edited July 2010
    might I ask what video card you are using? your $200 might be better spent on something like a GTX460
    edited July 2010
    I've got a GTX 260 right now.
  • edited July 2010
    panzerkw wrote:
    I've got a GTX 260 right now.

I have a GTX260 as well and I have been itching to upgrade it. But I see no reason/game that requires a better graphics card (my monitor is 1920x1080). If someone can make me justify the upgrade, I will be very happy buying a GTX460. It overclocks so good.
    edited July 2010
    I bought the Q9550 today, went in and booted up without issue.

I ALSO Bought some Crucial Ballistix ram since it was there. I bought the warranty thing so I can just bring it back and get a refund minus the cost of the warranty ($12)

Although my FPS in FSX didn't improve since the clock speed is actually lower (3.5GHz vs 3.8 on the E8400) the smoothness of the simulation is vastly improved. With more cores to handle textures and rendering all the micro-stutters and slide shows that I would get in crowded areas are gone. Everything is SMOOTH now. In that respect it is a huge improvement. I've noticed this effect in other games, too, since I usually have IE open and a music player going on while I'm playing. The game runs smoother.

Back to the 3.5GHz thing...I'm most disappointed in this ballistix ram, I thought it was specifically for overclocking or somethinglike that . So even with 5-5-5-18 timings it refused to boot at 430. 410 x 8.5 is as high as it can go and be stable. I lowered the multiplier to 6 just to make sure it wasn't the CPU (it is an E0 stepping), but sure enough at 430 the system wouldn't post, even at 6 mult.

Even my cheapo ADATA ram which it replaced could do that much (or better, since it could do 425 stably). I'll probably take it back, but the Q9550 is a keeper.

edit: almost considered going i7 but I didn't like their mobo selection. ultimately I can just take everything back for a refund minus the warranty cost when I finally do upgrade
    edited July 2010
    What are the specs on the Ballistix?
  • edited July 2010
    Try 7-7-7-24 at 2.2V. You need to check the temperature of northbridge past 400 FSB. Adding active cooling on the northbridge might help.
    edited July 2010
    I can't go higher than 6 for the memory timings on this P35-DS3L motherboard.

The ballistix is rated 4-4-4-12 at 400MHz
  • edited July 2010
    panzerkw wrote:

My P45 motherboard (ASUS P5QSE-PLUS) supports 7-7-7-24. That is how I overclock A-Data DDR2-800 to 933 at 2.2v with the same processor. You got the idea; maybe you can try 6-6-6-18 and 2.1-2.2v.
    edited July 2010
    panzerkw wrote:

You're gonna have to loosen the timings way up if you want to overclock that RAM. Jump it to 2.1v and loosen them up to 7/7/7.

Timings don't matter on the Core 2 Duo, and you definitely can't overclock those DIMMs with 4/4/4 or 5/5/5. Those timings are very aggressive.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I'm suddenly reminded of the amazing value of AMD black edition CPU's........ Just sayin.......
    edited July 2010
    I'm suddenly reminded of the amazing value of AMD black edition CPU's........ Just sayin.......

:) I tried finding an AMD with 12MB cache, and well....

yes I know we don't need 12MB cache CPU's, just like we don't need 10k rpm Velociraptors either :bigggrin:
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    fatcat wrote:
    :) I tried finding an AMD with 12MB cache, and well....

yes I know we don't need 12MB cache CPU's, just like we don't need 10k rpm Velociraptors either :bigggrin:

Well, my CPU is still easier to overclock!!!

sj_tongue.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Sure, if you have a crappy motherboard. ;)