Five reasons you should get a Mac instead of a PC

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Four of those five reasons are strictly due to Mac OS. If Mac OS was legally available on PCs, that would be the end of Apple hardware.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I personally don't like macs especially when considering 1) you'll gimp yourself for gaming and 2) there really isn't a large market for IT jobs dealing with macs

It's a strictly apple OS and that irks me quite a bit. If you don't like windows on your PC, go for a linux based OS and if you still don't like it. Go buy a mac...
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Four of those five reasons are strictly due to Mac OS. If Mac OS was legally available on PCs, that would be the end of Apple hardware.

If Mac OS was available on PCs, that would probably be the end of Mac OS too.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    And nothing of value would be lost.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Seems you're just comparing Macs to Windows based systems rather to PC's generally as the title led me to believe. :(

O well, filmmaker bit is spot on, final cut is really very nice.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Macs have fewer problems with viruses = almost all Unix based systems have fewer problems with viruses because of the way that permissions work in Unix. UAC tried to do something about the problems with permissions in Windows, but most users simply found it annoying and clicked yes every time because it was so ubiquitous.

I support trying Linux first, but if you aren't willing to work a little for your free OS, then you can pay the premium for a Mac.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    This article was a bit contrived, but I don't blame the author. Finding someone around here to write a fair, objective piece on Apple products is like asking a prisoner to write an essay titled "5 reasons you will like being locked up in my prison."

I have always said that Mac OSX is a better operating system than Windows, and it's still true. I just refuse to support a company that is riding off the success and innovation of the PC industry, while maintaining closed standards that work against the industry that blessed them with the cutting edge hardware they boast of.
  • edited July 2010
    Are there five more reasons? :)

Because with all these reasons, well at least 4/5, I would choose Linux if I have to leave Windows behind.
  • Paladin677Paladin677 Moriarty, NM Member
    edited July 2010
    I am a proud supporter of Linux and the Open Source as a whole. However Apple must be doing something right if half the notebooks I saw at Texas Linux Fest (and I've heard this is common) were Macs. However two reason stick out that weren't mentioned were:

1. Better integration with those Apple products you already have.
    2. The overwhelming and tremendous sense of smug you get with each Apple product.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Paladin677 wrote:
    1. Better integration with those Apple products you already have.

and.. Mac OS

can we move on now people, this debate is as old as primesuspect :wink:
  • edited July 2010
    Forget "easy to /get/ repaired". Like so many other companies, Apple does not make their service manuals very accessible. I do not always want to pay an "Apple Genius" to repair what I own; there is satisfaction in doing it myself. And in that regard, nothing beats a ThinkPad. The Hardware Maintenance Manuals are free for anyone to download, right from the product support site.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Sunday I get to replace the harddrive in my friends mac because the spindle decided to shake hands with the disk, and now it doesn't work. Silly mac's aren't always built up to par, as I've noticed. And it seems that whenever you drop and Ipod touch or an Iphone the screens always crack... I find that interesting.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    djmeph wrote:
    I just refuse to support a company that is riding off the success and innovation of the PC industry, while maintaining closed standards that work against the industry that blessed them with the cutting edge hardware they boast of.

Right, because Apple is such a bastion of open standar- oh, wait.
  • edited July 2010
    Primesuspect and djmeph stated it the best.

Really nothing I can add except that Linux has a good future IF the GUI improves and the OS gets a little more user-friendly.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2010
    The biggest stumbling block for linux is that it's development isn't cohesive. If linux was only available in vanilla and not every flavor under the sun it's development and integration would be much further along.

Linux continues to stumble because it's being torn in to many directions. Ubuntu has gone leaps and bounds to making Linux more of a usable experience for the masses. But it should have been at this stage 5-7 years ago already.
  • edited July 2010
    This was a disappointing follow-up to the article from May 26th. At least that one had a few truths rather than a copy/paste from Apples usual fud.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Right, because Apple is such a bastion of open standar- oh, wait.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Hence me comparing Apple to prison. Mac users should be going Attica on Steve Jobs right now.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Old debate is old.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    That article image makes me want to punch a sugar cube.
    edited July 2010
    My girlfriend drew it. She's good at conveying that exact emotion :D
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Yeah... as has been mentioned by so many before me, I couldn't help but notice that most of this article had to do with software and nothing to do with the actual hardware. Further, the viruses bit and the developer tools are not exclusive to Mac, as mentioned previously Linux (and most *nix systems) can claim the same.
    edited July 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    The biggest stumbling block for linux is that it's development isn't cohesive. If linux was only available in vanilla and not every flavor under the sun it's development and integration would be much further along.

Linux continues to stumble because it's being torn in to many directions. Ubuntu has gone leaps and bounds to making Linux more of a usable experience for the masses. But it should have been at this stage 5-7 years ago already.

I agree 100%. If only we could unite all the devs behind one or two distributions, so much more could be accomplished. There are certainly reasons for why they are so fractured right now, but the amount of progress that could be made by teaming up is so substantial that people need to get over their differences and unite!
    edited July 2010
    Have you met many greybeards? There are certain personality traits that sort of go along with being a Linux dev, and many of those traits maybe kind of preclude friendly social interactions with people whom they feel are "wrong" in some way.
    edited July 2010
    I haven't met them but I certainly know the type and that is why I know it won't happen. I express hope and wait for someone to crush it succinctly. :)
    edited July 2010
    Linux is one of the most self-defeating communities that has ever existed. Generally speaking, they are elitists who don't want to share their amazing operating system with the world, because they feel we won't "get it" or use it properly, and yet, without us they will never elevate beyond the obscurity they are trying so hard to get out of.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    But seriously, 2010 is the year of linux on the desktop.
    edited July 2010
    Linux is one of the most self-defeating communities that has ever existed. Generally speaking, they are elitists who don't want to share their amazing operating system with the world, because they feel we won't "get it" or use it properly, and yet, without us they will never elevate beyond the obscurity they are trying so hard to get out of.

wikipedian_protester.png
    edited July 2010
    If I were to describe to the Linux community I would use religion as a model since to many of them FOSS, with Linux being the messiah, is their religion. As such it is their inherent duty to preach the gospel of open source and the evils of closed and proprietary software. Believe me, I have never met a devout religious person who believes so much that their specific should be followed by the whole world as that of a FOSS follower. Christianity? Nope. Islam? Nope? Team Edward? Close but not quite. The thought of them keeping Linux to themselves is humorous. However like every religion, the movement is fractured. Everybody having their own belief on how this new world order that is FOSS should look. Of how Linux should develop. Of what makes the best desktop environment. Best social network. If there is a product, there are a group of opinions. FOSS is both a testament of how well a society can work together, and how badly they can work together.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2010

And yet Linux powers most of the internet... I think most Linux devs are happy with that, knowing that all the windows lusers depend on them every day whether they know it or not.
    edited July 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    And yet Linux powers most of the internet... I think most Linux devs are happy with that, knowing that all the windows lusers depend on them every day whether they know it or not.

I almost called you out on that, but my googling itch and like of Linux made me double-check and you are semi-correct. The market share according to the netcraft survey showed 41.59% windows, 41.02% Linux, then Unix and others for the other ~16%. By revenue though, Windows counts for 41.6%, Linux 14.7%, and Unix for 29.9%. Interesting numbers for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Servers