Fucking crossfire, how do I make it work?

M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
edited July 2010 in Hardware
Today I opened up my second XFX Radeon 5770 card along with a brand new 650w XFX Crossfire ready blahblah Power supply. With a smile on my face installed them, attached the crossfire cable to both of my cards and flipped on my PC.

The first thing I did was go to the AMD/ATi drivers website and download the CrossfireX Application Profiles because well, I dont know. It said crossfire and it was in the drivers section. So even though I wasn't prompted for a restart I did so anyways, checking my BIOS to make sure I didnt miss anything.

To my dismay in the CCC(Catalyst Control Center) it tells me that there is only 1 device enabled and 1 disabled. Both being 5770's. Now, I found a few posts on other forums saying you just have to click a magic "Enable crossfire" button. However, I found no such check box or magical button in the CCC. I've scoured the internets for help on how to make this infuriating technology work and have come up with bupkis.

HALP!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    What motherboard, Pete?
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Also, what operating system are you on?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Did you just install the profiles or did you do that with a driver reinstall? Also have you checked in device manager to see what it says about the second GPU?
  • M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
    edited July 2010
    this is the mobo i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402 as for OS its windows 7. device manager shows 2 5770s but gpu-z shows only 1 being used. i've plugged my monitors into both cards and they are both providing video.
  • M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
    edited July 2010
    Im at my wit's end here. I've done just about everything I could do. and I cannot get the stupid "Crossfirex" option to show up in catalyst control center.
    edited July 2010
    Tinkered around with the BIOS at all?
  • M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
    edited July 2010
    Yus. Nothing. Im making a post right now on the AMD forums and hopefully a mod or someone will know wtf is going on. Im about to throw this thing out the window.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Do you have the latest bios for the board?

Did you uninstall all your Catalyst drivers first and the install the latest 10.6's?
    edited July 2010
    Pete, I get back into town on Saturday. If you haven't figured it out yet, I can take a look at it.
  • M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
    edited July 2010
    I downloaded the newest bios and tbh i have no idea where it goes. it didnt come in an install file...just a ROM and yeah i dont know wtf to do with it.
    edited July 2010
    Have you switched the cards to verify that they both do work? Also in device manager did both of them report the same device state: "This device is working properly"

With the ROM you burn it to a CD and boot to the cd, usually when they give you a ROM it walks you through a short process or does an auto check and update.
    edited July 2010
    The only other thing besides BIOS update is see if you can extend your desktop. That would take a second monitor, dual input monitor, dummy plug, or externally powered KVM.
  • M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
    edited July 2010
    I have dual monitors but how do i install this bios update if its just a ROM file
    edited July 2010
    I think this should cover it for you.
  • M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
    edited July 2010
    lmao i dont own a flash drive. how sad is that
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Unplug one of the monitors, uninstall the drivers, then install the latest drivers.

See if the fact you have Dual monitors and you are running in extended desktop mode is messing with Xfire.

And yea, no Flash drive? pretty pathetic, flashing those boards is easy, they have it built into the bios.
  • M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
    edited July 2010
    Tried that, also, found a flash drive so im going to try updating the bios. this seems like alot of work for something that should be so simple
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I coulda sworn that to run CrossFire you should only have your monitors plugged into your primary card, nothing plugged into your secondary card. Or so I thought.